Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Ragdolls
26-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #1

Advice Please

Hiya Everyone,

I've not been on here for a while, not been well and I'm still not a hundred percent but anyhoo...

Well for those that don't know me, my animal family consists of Tinkerbelle (who'll be 1 on the 30th of this month) and Ernesto and Luna,brother and sister ragdoll kittens who are now 4 month old. Oh and not forgetting my beautiful golden retriever Phoebe.

I had lots of fabulous advice on here for introductions between tinkerbelle and the kittens which worked a treat as I can honestly say the three of them are all like litter mates, playing and sleeping together... Very cute! Will post some pictures on here too.

My current predicament if anyone can advise is ... I'm about to get the entire my entire downstairs carpet replaced with real wood floor (living room, dining room, kitchen, hallway, porch and playroom). THey normally have free run of the house but I'm concerned about them 'bothering' the workman and getting hurt (they are very curious and playful) WOuld it be recommended to have kept at my mams through the day or would this unsettle them? I can't physically restrict them to upstairs only, my hope would be that they choose to stay upstairs out of harms way but obviously don't know if they will.

thanks in advance xx

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggy's
26-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #2

Re: Advice Please

Hi, sorry to hear that you've been unwell and hope you start feeling better soon x

I think it depends on which situation will be less stressfull for all of you. My cats have been complete opposites regarding workmen in the house. Speedy was always curious and getting in the way and Smudge will hide under the bed terrified. If I was in your situation I would consider relocating the cats to your mums while the workmen are there to avoid any chance of them getting hurt or escaping. As they are still young and they will be together, then they should cope just fine. I wouldn't recommend moving them between yours and your mums each day though, as that may be more stressfull than a short stay away from home.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
26-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #3

Can you do a trial run of introducing your cat family to your mum's? If it really doesn't work (even with items from your house that will smell of home territory and Feliway as needed) then you have time to plan something else. I do not think it is a good idea to let them stay in the house if you can't restrict them to the upper floor. Cats will investigate, and laying new floors tends to make for many intersting holes and tunnels where they would be in danger.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
26-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #4

Yes, I'd vote for temporary relocation just to be safe. The workmen will get the job done quicker without having curious kitties holding them up and your cats will be safe. I would also suggest taking some of their things, like bed, scratch post and maybe an old T-shirt/jumper of yours to make them feel secure while they are away on their holiday.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
27-09-2012, 03:14 AM   #5

To change the subject slightly - your dog may have difficulty adjusting to the new floor, if he/she isn't used to shiny laminate flooring, they can slip, slide or fall sooooo for a while anyway, keep,a supply of scatter rugs down for him/her. Some dogs adjust quicker than others. The kittens will be lighter on their feet & shouldn't have too much trouble adjusting.