Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
23-12-2005, 03:27 PM   #1

Christmas - Polish style

Just to present a slightly different perspective on Christmas celebrations, this is how I have spent Christmas Eve since I was a child. Some of the traditional weren't so strictly observed in our house, but the food is almost exactly as described here. Having said that, only some of the traditions are unqiue to Poland, many countries have their main present-giving and Christmas meal on the Eve rather than the Day . . .

For days in advance, Polish women prepare the traditional foods and everyone anxiously awaits the moment when the first star, known as the Gwiazdka, appears in the eastern sky. For that is when the feast to commemorate the birth of the Christ Child begins.

There is always a thin layer of hay under the white tablecloth in memory of the Godchild in the manger. Before sitting down at the table, everyone breaks the traditional wafer, or Oplatek and exchanges good wishes for health, wealth and happiness in the New Year. The Oplatek is a thin, unleavened wafer similar to the altar bread in the Roman Catholic Church. It is stamped with the figures of the Godchild, the blessed Mary, and the holy angels. The wafer is known as the bread of love and is often sent by mail to the absent members of the family.

The dinner itself differs from other evening meals in that the number of courses is fixed at seven, nine or eleven. According to myth, in no case must there be an odd number of people at the table, otherwise it is said that some of the feasters would not live to see another Christmas. A lighted candle in the windows symbolizes the hope that the Godchild, in the form of a stranger, may come to share the Wigilia and an extra place is set at the table for the unexpected guest. This belief stems from the ancient Polish adage, "A guest in the home is God in the home."

The Wigilia is a meatless meal, no doubt the result of a long-time Church mandate that a strict fast and abstinence be observed on this day before Christmas. Although the Church laws have been revised and permit meat to be eaten on this day, the traditional meal remains meatless. Items that would normally be included in a traditional Wigilia menu include mushroom soup, boiled potatoes (kartofle), pickled herring (sledzie), fried fish, pierogi, beans and sauerkraut (groch i kapusta), a dried fruit compote, babka, platek, assorted pastries, nuts and candies.

After the meal the members of the family sing Polish Christmas Carols called the koledy while the children wait impatiently around the Christmas tree or choinka for the gifts to be exchanged.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
23-12-2005, 03:39 PM   #2

Re: Christmas - Polish style

Really interesting Yola...will you be following the tradition this year too?

Catsey Veteran

23-12-2005, 03:50 PM   #3

We do it every year . . . Mum hosts it. I really want to do it but my Aunt n Uncle who are both in their 80s and not as sprightly as my Mum won't travel out of London so to just keep the peace my Mum now does it ever year.

Catsey Veteran

23-12-2005, 03:53 PM   #4

It will be lovely having it all done for you Yola Actually I envy you If you celebrate tomorrow, what will you be doing on Christmas day?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
23-12-2005, 04:04 PM   #5

Sounds wonderful Yola

Catsey Veteran

23-12-2005, 04:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
It will be lovely having it all done for you Yola Actually I envy you If you celebrate tomorrow, what will you be doing on Christmas day?
On Christmas Day we will be at home with Domi carrying out a bit of a detox - eating fruit and veg . . . but we will also be drinking a bit of our Christmas wine collection

Boxing Day will be crazy as we have Ken's kids (+ partners), his Mum, my Mum and the little grandson. We will be cooking our venison haunch for that meal

It's kind of developed; coz when Ken n I first got together we did a 'Christmas Day' on Boxing Day for his kids so he could have a special day with them - so we have a full-on eating day either side of Christmas Day with the day itself being a kinda day of respite!!!

Catsey Veteran

23-12-2005, 06:39 PM   #7

Sounds good yola...Well I hope everything goes off ok and that you have a lovely day tomorrow

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
23-12-2005, 06:50 PM   #8

Vet interesting Yola. I hope you all have a lovely time.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggie
23-12-2005, 08:34 PM   #9

That was interesting to read Yola.

Here in Denmark we also celebrate on the Eve (tomoz). And I'm having my dad and brother over for dinner: Duck (I cant cook turkey) and pork roast, potatoes, caramel potatoes for my dad and then something we call Ris a la mande... I guess its kind of a ricepudding.. Cold, with creme and chopped almonds and vanilla.. Then one entire almond is put in the "pudding" and the one finding the almond (when we eat) wins a present.

Then on the 25. we are going to my mum's and stepdad for a christmas lunch and unwrapping pressies afterwards.

I'm just like a kid, when it comes to pressies I dont think I'll ever grow up, when it comes to pressies.. I love getting them, and I get so sad, when there's no more left

I hope you have a great day tomorrow Yola and sorry for taking over your post

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
23-12-2005, 09:01 PM   #10

have a great day Yola.