Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
04-03-2010, 01:08 AM   #1

Afghanistan/ Iraq...such Courage

Well today I went to Selly Oak hospital with my Dad (ENT out patients dept) for his annual check up on Bone anchored Hearing Aid.
And while we were there there were three young soldiers (Selly Oak is hospital for soldiers injured) in the dept all of whom has hearing problems, due to the above wars...
One young lad had been 19 on Monday in January he had been blown up by a IED...he'd lost both his legs above the knee, and fingers from his left hand including his thumb....
A young man in his 20's also an IED attack who had lost his left leg above the knee and his left arm and almost his right leg.
A young lad who had been shot on 30th Jan... the bullet had gone through his left thigh into his right leg breaking it. Doctors had saved his leg but he had no control feeling over his right foot, and his left leg had been shattered by the bullet. And he had pins holding it together and had lost part of his liver and his spleen...due to the shots...
As I was chatting to them a young lad 20 came in with a nurse....he'd been blown up by an IED which had blinded him and taken off his right ear...and 3 fingers of his right hand.....and part of his right foot.

They were all chatting away.....and it brought it home to me....seriously so young.....and all were intending to remain in the army......amazing young men.

As we left my Dad shook their hands and thanked them and all of them got choked up...as did I. You read it in the paper but until you see/meet them it does not hit home.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
04-03-2010, 01:22 AM   #2

Re: Afghanistan/ Iraq...such Courage

We owe these young men and women so much, and so many within this country are too quick to condemn them for fighting over there. Now whether you agree with the war or not (and I wouldn't want this to turn into a pro or anti thread), these courageous souls deserve every respect for going and doing their job without complaint, and so often at terrible costs. Every one a Hero!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-03-2010, 03:08 AM   #3

God bless all those young men and women out there in harms way and peril. War is hell .....

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Felix
04-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #4

My friends friend's son is in the army and she is always so worried about him.
They are all so brave and courageous to being doing that.
Xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #5

You are spot on Alex - war is never the fault of those who have to fight it. Bless 'em all.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
04-03-2010, 08:06 PM   #6

I can only echo what has been said above.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggie
05-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #7

Here in Denmark, there's a programme in telly called "Field hospital", where you see the doctors, nurses and patients in a hospital in the danish camp in Iraq.

Its a real eye-opener to see. Cos yes, its over there. A bit distant somehow

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
05-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
You are spot on Alex - war is never the fault of those who have to fight it. Bless 'em all.
I agree Angie, God bless them. x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
05-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #9

I think the young people involved are doing such a thankless task with such bravery and little complaint. I've heard about Selly Oak and the important work it does in helping these soldiers get back to some degree of normality.

I won't voice my opinions on the war and the reasons behind them here, but I do value the hard, hard work these men and women put in for so very little reward.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
05-03-2010, 09:31 PM   #10

And not what one them was moaning, they were all laughing and jesting with each other puts your issues into perspective I think.....I am sure they have their moments. But they were simply young lads....I asked if they were happy to stay in the army and all of them said yes.....maybe because they are with people who knew them know them and respect that they are just one of the group.