Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: tabby's
21-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #1

Hair loss on kitten's tail

I have an 8 week old kitten that I've had for about 3 weeks. When I got her she had a small bald spot on the underside of her tail about one inch down from the tip. That spot now goes all the way around her tail and is about one inch wide. It's not red or itchy as she doesn't bother it at all and it doesn't look like ringworm to me although I have only seen ringworm on dogs or children. I'm wondering what you might think it is and what type of ointments can be used on a kitten. I know what to use on dogs but I don't know if I can use the same thing on a kitten as I've never had a cat that had any type of problem. Jacqi, is healthy and very active like any other kitten. She does not have fleas or worms. I wormed her myself but she is still a bit young, by US standards, to get her first shots, but I will order the vaccine and give the shots myself as I did with my other cats and all my dogs.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
22-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #2

Re: Hair loss on kitten's tail

Hi there! I don't have any experience with kittens so can't answer your problem. As it doesn't seem to bother her or doesn't appear to be infected I'd leave well alone until she grows a little then maybe a vet check to confirm all is well.

22-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #3

That's what I've been doing. Leaving it alone for now. I got a good look at it last night with a flashlight and the skin looks a bit dry and just a little flakey so I think i'll put a bit of lotion on it. It bothers me more than it bothers her.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
22-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #4

Hi Debra Jo ...... I was wondering about flea allergy, but you say that your kitten has been de-flead. She does seem very young ........ and presume left her mother before 8 weeks old?

Could it be so simple as she is not cleaning herself properly and her tail is getting urine burn? Just a thought as if she left her mother that early perhaps she didn't have chance to learn how to clean herself???

24-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #5

She was only 5 weeks old when I got her and that is very young. I do see her cleaning herself but not very often. have never noticed her cleaning her tail. I'll get some baby wipes and clean her tail for her. Thanks for the suggestion. I would have never thought of that.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
24-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #6

I would get her vet checked. We got a kitten last year with ringworm & the dry flaky skin is part of it. If not treated it will spread. It is usually around the ears/ head but can be anywhere, the fact its spreading suggests it is not going to go away. It went round most of our cats & dogs last year. We both took it . You can buy Canesten - (Clotrimazole) is used to treat yeast infections and skin such as athlete's foot, and body ringworm. Canesten you can buy over the counter. Apply it twice a day every day for six weeks or until the hair grows back.

It could be allergy

Would still get a vet check Kitten over. At least then you will know what you are dealing with

25-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #7

I think I have an anti-fungal cream somewhere and I will try that. Thanks for the suggestion. I just don't know about cats like I know about dogs, so I am concerned about doing the wrong thing as meds for cats are very different from dogs. I am washing it every day with hypoallergenic, scent free baby wipes.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
25-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #8

Hope you get your kittens tail sorted soon.
It's interesting talking to someone from a different country, here we have to have the vet give vaccines, we can't do it ourselves.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
30-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #9

Shelley vaccines can be given by ourselves here if you can locate a source in the internet for the vaccines. Myself I don't think it is a good idea. Having the vet give vaccines also gives the chance for the vet to have a yearly check up of the cat/dog.

Debra your kitten is so young I really don't think you should be self-medicating it. The kitten needs to be seen by a vet. Why anyone would let a 5 week old kitten go is beyond me.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
01-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #10

I am inclined to agree with Kay. Especially since you say you are not as clued up on cats as you are with dogs. My personal feeling is that, due to this wee ones age and obvious poor start, I'd have a vet take a very good look at him/her before treating myself.