Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Fabulous moggies!
19-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #1

Hyperthyroidism - when to let go?

Hi all

My 19 year young boy was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism about 6 months ago as I had noticed he had smelly breath and drinking more water (I only went in as I thought he needed dental work doing). I was given the tablets (Fortekur?) but trying to get him to take the tablets made him incredibly distressed so I decided at his wonderful old age I would see how he went unmedicated, with the aim to let him go gracefully (I do realise that decision not to medicate might be a bit of a debate).

Now 6 months on and I am noticing some changes in my beautiful Harvey. He has gone from a very sleepy and sedentary OAP to one who goes in and out the cat flap like a yo yo, spending ages outside just chilling in the garden. He drinks loads but does not eat much cat food and is definitely losing weight but would not say he looks 'ill' as yet. His breath is FOUL, I can smell him as soon as he jumps up, and I have noticed he is starting to breath funny at times - deep heavy breathing, like he is gasping a little, but only occasionally. He is also often sick.

Now then, my main worry I think is the breathing - I know how awful the ending can be for a cat with hyperthyroidism and difficult as it is to talk about it, I do NOT want that for him and most definitely want to euthanise before he is in any pain.

At what point should I let him go? Is the breathing difficulty a sign that the hyperthyroidism is starting to set in?

I am sorry to ask questions on here, I know the vet is really the best place to ask but I am extremely reluctant to get him into the basket and distress him any further, just like my decision not to pill.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
20-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #2

Re: Hyperthyroidism - when to let go?

The breathing is most likely his heart, without treatment he will go into heart failure, the drinking may be because of his kidneys failing too.
Have you tried giving him a pill in a treat, although fortekor is not a thyroid pill.
There is a special diet for hyperthyroid cats called Hills Y/D, he must only be fed this, but it replaces the need to give tablets, it may be worth a try.
I cannot answer as to when us the time without treatment, but I guess if his behaviour is changing, his blood pressure may be going up too, which will make him feel rubbish, it's a case of deciding when he is distressed or looks to have given up.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #3

Hi Sarah - I am very sorry to hear about your lovely Harvey. I do understand your reluctance to medicate him and won't go on about that. It may have been that your vet might have advised about diet when you first took him in, or not.

The breathing difficulties you mention may also be due to a build up of fluid in the lungs and I know from experience with my dear Smudge that this is a bad sign. The staying outside may be due to raised temperature and I would seriously consider taking him back to the vet for advise. It really is the only thing you can do as letting him get to the point where he passes away "naturally" will cause both of you distress.

Never an easy call.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
20-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #4

so sorry to hear of your problems with Harvey,it realy is awful when you havea poorly animal, just been through it with Tuppence.
Re the tablets, we were able to successfuly medicate Tuppence by using Beaphar hairball mix, she absolutely loved this, i squirted some on my finger, placed the pill into the pile and then squirted more on top.
Could you perhaps ring the vet for advice instead of taking Harvey in ?
if there is any quality of life then i would say it's worth preserving it, i know what you mean about wanting to prevent pain at the end,it's a very fine balance. Get some vets advice but remember you know your cat best.

Catsey Senior

21-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #5

Thanks so much for your replies everyone.

Sorry, the medication isn't Fortekor, it is the special medication for hyperthyroidism. I have tried everything to try and help him take the tabs - obviously the normal pilling method, which caused such distress, then the trying to hide it in cheese, ham, sardines, tuna, etc etc. Trouble is that he's lost all interest in food, and only grazes occasionally on his dry food. In fact I sometimes wonder whether he has a sense of smell at all because my other cats go absolutely ballistic as soon as they get any whiff of tuna or sardines!

Since writing this, he hasn't had any more strange breathing bouts, and is just chilling and sprawled out on the bed. Aside from looking a bit elderly and dribbling all over the place, he doesn't seem to be suffering in any way. Please be assured though, that I am keeping a very very close eye on him. I really want to get the balance right, as some of you suggested, I want him to live his remaining time happily and do not want him to go through any suffering whatsoever.

Thank you xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
21-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #6

thinking of you and Harvey, Sarah. Hope you both have longer together

Catsey Senior

22-10-2013, 01:37 PM   #7

Thanks Shelley.
I am taking Harvey to the vets shortly, I don't know what I am expecting them to say really but Harvey seems to have aged several years overnight. I picked him up for a cuddle and was quite shocked at how bony he has become and his heartbeat was so fast I couldn't keep up with counting it. I have a horrible feeling this is the time to say goodbye but will seek advice from the vet as to what situation his health is in :'(

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
22-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #8

(((HUGS))) Sarah.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
23-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #9

However heartbreaking it may seem, sometimes we owe it to our cats to make that extremely difficult decision. Thinking of you Sarah and hoping you might have a little more time left together with Harvey. x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
23-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #10

No advice to give, just wanted to say I am thinking of you x