Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Oriental
02-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #1

Hairball

I have 2 cats. I've come downstairs a few days over the past week and found sick. I can't tell which cat it's from, but both have been sick in front of me recently.

Myszka's poo can be quite soft sometimes. Mitsu's is normal as far as I can see.

I did some reading online, and thought it could be hair ball related. Myszka has longer hair than Mitsu, though he is a shorthair, and he also grooms Mitus a lot.

The last time I took Myszka to the vets when this happened, she said it could just be a tummy upset, and gave him an injection to stop him feeling sick.

Does anyone have any recommendations? If I'm still seeing sick over the wknd, I'll take him to the vets.

My own reading so far on things though is leading me in direction of raw diet...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
04-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #2

Re: Hairball

You can buy cat treats made by Whiskas specifically for hair balls. Just give each cat a few a day

We have one cat who is sick regularly. What happens is, she eats too much too fast & then it comes up again. I had her checked out at the vets & he said my diagnosis was spot on shes perfectly healthy!

What do you feed & are the meal times set or free fed?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
04-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #3

sorry to hear about your problems, if it's fur makeing your cats sick, you should be able to see it in the vomit.
I can reccomend either laxapet or hairball paste by beaphar as a preventative. Tuppence will eat both with relish.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Oriental
05-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #4

They have dry food out 24/7, then some bits and pieces from our meal at dinner time, and also half a tin of encore after evening playtime.
We've started putting away the food at night time, as the sick was usually happening in the morning, and so far no sick.

Thanks for the recommendations! Will keep those in mind in case it comes back. Am also going to move to a raw diet: http://www.naturesmenu.co.uk/ makes sense to me that if you feed animals things they weren't designed for, they're likely to get effects from that.

Cats owned: 2 cats - one torti-tabby, one black
acatcalleddog is Male
01-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feliss
They have dry food out 24/7, then some bits and pieces from our meal at dinner time, and also half a tin of encore after evening playtime.
We've started putting away the food at night time, as the sick was usually happening in the morning, and so far no sick.

Thanks for the recommendations! Will keep those in mind in case it comes back. Am also going to move to a raw diet: http://www.naturesmenu.co.uk/ makes sense to me that if you feed animals things they weren't designed for, they're likely to get effects from that.
If their poo is soft for more than 3 days or so, go to the vets.

Otherwise, perhaps try using one of the laxatives like Katalax if they are coughing up fur balls.

We have the same problem - but from the non-miaowing end. Our cat Bumble regularly does fur poos - just compacted fur left in cigar shapes on the carpet. Not smelly and easy to pick up, so no problem.

But we ourselves are wondering if we should buy those Whiskers treats with furball treatments in them. I couldn't see them at the supermarket but will try a pet shop.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
01-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by acatcalleddog
If their poo is soft for more than 3 days or so, go to the vets.

Otherwise, perhaps try using one of the laxatives like Katalax if they are coughing up fur balls.

We have the same problem - but from the non-miaowing end. Our cat Bumble regularly does fur poos - just compacted fur left in cigar shapes on the carpet. Not smelly and easy to pick up, so no problem.

But we ourselves are wondering if we should buy those Whiskers treats with furball treatments in them. I couldn't see them at the supermarket but will try a pet shop.
Jollye's & Pets at Home sell them & you could probably get them on eBay x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
01-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #7

Re Nature's Menu ........ I tried my cats on this and they wouldn't touch it. Both my dogs eat RAW (Nature's Menu) and are very happy but I've always found cats are much more difficult to persuade a diet change. Good luck!

Cats owned: 2 cats - one torti-tabby, one black
acatcalleddog is Male
02-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #8

Thanks all!

Yes, it's difficult with cats - they rarely like any sort of medication and even if I smear it on Bumble's paw, he somehow manages to smear most of the Katalax off again onto something!

I think the problem is our centrally heated homes making cats groom themselves too much: it can all get very blocked up in there, esp for longer haired felines!

It can be serious too - a blockage that prevents them, passing stools can be fatal.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
02-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #9

Pip, my very thick but short furred boy loves the Furminator! He will walk one way and turn around and come back for me to do his other side, we go on like that until he's had enough and I've got enough fur to make a good sized ball. I do believe we can help our darlings by getting them used to being groomed. Sadly, my other lovely Kizzy won't allow me to groom her, but she did not come to me as a kitten.