Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
08-05-2014, 09:40 AM   #1

Thursday and I am glad to be back

Good morning people.
First I am sorry for my absence however on Tuesday afternoon I had a second episode of my left leg not holding me up it sort of felt heavy and the pins and needles in my left arm came back. I already had a Doctors appointment at 4.20 and from there went straight to the hospital - admitted to the Hyper Actute Stroke Unit at Good hope which I am pleased and overjoyed to say is a new unit 2011 http://www.heartofengland.nhs.uk/str...s-locals-fast/
I must admit I did not call an ambulance but my treatment in the unit was superb.
I left this morning and have been told I have had a TIA (mini stroke) although because I still have left sided weakness and getting words wrong at times I am between mild stroke and TIA technically apparently TIA symptoms go away within 24 hours whereas mine are still there apparently I have been exceedingly LUCKY. within 24 hours I have had a chest Xray, CAT scan and neck/jugular ultrasound. Have to go as an outpatient for
72 hour heart monitor,
nerve conduction studies
MRI
and return to the consultants clinic in 8 weeks
Also sent to the stroke club and speech theraphy for my missing words if they do not come back when I went in my strength in left side marked out of 5 was 1 this morning it was 3.5
So I cannot drive for 4 weeks and am totally grateful to the stroke unit, the great AMU (actute medical unit) and my fantastic GP who came to the hospital yesterday to see me.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
08-05-2014, 10:34 AM   #2

Re: Thursday and I am glad to be back

Hi Kazz, goodness me! I'm so glad you got great care at the hospital for your TIA, it's more common than people realise and this week is TIA awareness week so I'm glad you can be a prime advocate for the condition! Seems your signs are bigger than most, you have had great care and promptly. Things were slower with Ceri but there has been a lot of progress made within the medical world since then.

HEADS UP FOLKS!!! Symptoms like Karen had are to be taken seriously!!!
http://www.stroke.org.uk/tia

Hope things return quickly but be aware love that this is a warning and you must address stress & lifestyle issues.

Well, my day is blinking normal today - thank heavens, rain rain rain and wet cats Think I'll stay in and do a jigsaw with Ceri x

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
08-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #3

Hullo Kazz, so glad that you received great medical attention and are now on the road to recovery.You will be pleased to be home now and continuing your treatment as an outpatient. Thank goodness that you had that doctor's appointment and received immediate treatment. All my very best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-05-2014, 12:38 PM   #4

Kazz, I'm so glad to hear that you've had such good treatment and that you are out of hospital. I was thinking about you ....... Kizzy sends loads of healing purrs to her aunty Kazz and big ((((HUGS)))) from me.

I will pay attention to that site, PP - thanks for posting the link. Hope the jigsaw goes well!

Horrid wet day here too ........... I'm off out to calligraphy in a while. Got my gesso made up - I hope my tutor can advise me as I am not very pleased with the gilding I did last week. Hope the damp atmosphere won't be a problem. We only have one week of term left!

Take care folks.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
08-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #5

Heck Kazz, what a lucky girl you are. Good job you got checked out. OH nearly died of kidney failure 2 years ago because he wouldn't go to the doctor when he was very ill. He had a massive diabetic hyper and I called an ambulance as I thought he was having a stroke and he was admitted to hospital. They found out by accident that his kidneys had failed! Fair play, his treatment in ITU at Tameside was exemplary, the nurses were fantastic. I agree with you PP, better safe than sorry. I am of a generation that doesn't like to 'make a fuss', so is OH. Hell, folks, MAKE A FUSS!! Good for you Kazz, sounds like you are getting good care, I wish you a speedy recovery.

Enjoy your class Angie, Hope you master the gilding. Hi Dinky, hope all is well with you and furries. Dogs out now for us then shopping later. Very wet here, yuk.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
08-05-2014, 01:57 PM   #6

Oh Jeez, Karen ... I had a really bad feeling when you posted those symptoms that this might have been the diagnosis, hence urging you to get some medical help. I am so, SO pleased that things were caught in time. For heavens' sake woman look after yourself and don't you dare lug any pots around the garden for a while xx

Catsey Veteran

08-05-2014, 03:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
Oh Jeez, Karen ... I had a really bad feeling when you posted those symptoms that this might have been the diagnosis, hence urging you to get some medical help. I am so, SO pleased that things were caught in time. For heavens' sake woman look after yourself and don't you dare lug any pots around the garden for a while xx
You were right Yola.

Must say here I am unsure if I am a stroke or a TIA
Definition of stroke symptoms after 24 hours
TIA Symptoms go within 24 hours.
That is my understanding, from booklet I was given.

So here I am Regardless my symptoms are now
left sided weakness, finding it hard to judge distance, and struggling with words but not slurring and extreme tiredness. And slight droop on left side of face.
But able to breath, swallow, eat, read, write and understand.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
08-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #8

wishing you a speedy recovery Karen, take care x
Been to work this morning and out with my cousins tonight for a pub meal, hope it is better than the pub meal i had last week.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
08-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #9

Glad to hear you are getting the treatment you need, take it easy x

Evening everyone

Catsey Veteran

08-05-2014, 07:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley123
wishing you a speedy recovery Karen, take care x
Been to work this morning and out with my cousins tonight for a pub meal, hope it is better than the pub meal i had last week.
Enjoy your meal