Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
13-07-2009, 11:58 AM   #1

New kitten - safety

I have been trawling t'internet to try and find something that will protect all the electrical cables and stuff we have trailing around from potential chewing by the new kitten. I have come across one product that looked as if it may just be the thing, but of course it's American and I can't find a UK seller. It's called Crittercord.

Does anyone have any solutions to the potential chewing hazard? Any thoughts would be welcome.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
13-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #2

Re: New kitten - safety

Sorry I can`t really help you with that one Angie, I have just as best as I could tied mine together and pinned them up with cable tidies, which does appear to have worked as they don`t try to mess with them.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
13-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #3

Angie, I had the same problem with Harri.. found a product called a cable zipper.. not sure if you can get it there... but you could also try some of that flexible clear tubing that they sell at garden supply stores...sometimes it's black too... used for watering systems... run a stanly knife down the side... and slip the cables in.. you can always run about of tape around it if it isn't quite flexible enough to spring back once you have put all the cords in it..

the beauty of that is that its pretty cheap and you can cut it to exact size required

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
13-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #4

Thanks Jo - I may have found what you mean, is it a sort of spiral plastic covering that sort of zips on (not with a zip!)

Does it work? Did it keep your wee one from chewing the cables?

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
13-07-2009, 01:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Thanks Jo - I may have found what you mean, is it a sort of spiral plastic covering that sort of zips on (not with a zip!)

Does it work? Did it keep your wee one from chewing the cables?
yeah... it worked... initially she still tried to chew... but she couldn't get her mouth easily around the diameter of the cable.. and when she did she found that wasn't comfortable to persist... so now she has started chewing the corner of photo frames in stead!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
13-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #6

I've never known a kitten chew wires - certainly haven't taken any precautions against it. Bad Mum!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-07-2009, 04:57 PM   #7

Another Bad Mom here; I've never kitten-proofed wires as none of mine have ever tried to chew them! But I've heard that putting Tabasco or another hot sauce on them would work, although that does sound a bit messy and time-consuming. Angie, if you can't find something to suit I'd be more than happy to order Crittercord here for you and send it, Amazon has it here; did you try Amazon UK?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
13-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #8

I too used the spiral cable zip tidy. As Jo said - too big to get mouth round so did deter her from seeking them out.

Have to say it was the first time I have had a kitten who tried to chew, the rest usually ignored wires.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
13-07-2009, 06:53 PM   #9

Never had a kitten chew wires and cables here either but have always been told that crab apple oil on the cables deters puppies and kittens from chewing them, dont know if it works as I have never had to put it to the test.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
13-07-2009, 06:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Never had a kitten chew wires and cables here either but have always been told that crab apple oil on the cables deters puppies and kittens from chewing them, dont know if it works as I have never had to put it to the test.
Must remember that for the future. Kinsi was determined to get the telephone wire from the side of the door - I had a barrier of books against which we all regularly tripped over