Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Charlie, the rescue kitten :)
08-07-2009, 11:27 PM   #1

Getting kitten used to a collar

We tried putting a collar on Charlie for five minutes tonight & he hates it. Spent the whole time going crazy trying to get it off. Im assuming thats quite normal, but are we doing the right thing - putting it on for a little time every day & gradually building that time up? Want to do this right, Its all super scary being responsible for such a beautiful tiny little man!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
08-07-2009, 11:34 PM   #2

Re: Getting kitten used to a collar

I only ever put a collar on my 2 when they are going outside which they enjoy so they don`t mind having them put on, infact they come running when they hear me get them out
But when they were as young as Charlie I didn`t bother putting a collar on them.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
08-07-2009, 11:36 PM   #3

I haven't known a cat or kitten yet who has liked having a collar put on for the first time!

Don't worry too much at the moment, let him get used to you and his new surroundings first and maybe try again in a week's time.

Catsey Junior

08-07-2009, 11:40 PM   #4

Thats definately good to know! We arent bothered about him actually wearing it now, just dont want him going insane when he eventually does get to go outdoors & has to wear it! Will leave him a week or so & see how he finds it then. Is it still best to build up the time he has it on for, or just leave it on until hes used to it? Thanks X

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
08-07-2009, 11:49 PM   #5

Yes, you can try him with it for a short time each day...... the when the big day comes for him to venture outdoors he will be ready...

Is he microchipped?

Catsey Junior

08-07-2009, 11:50 PM   #6

Okay will go with that then Hes not microchipped yet as we only just got him home, he will be soon though X

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
09-07-2009, 08:13 AM   #7

Pop the collar on just before you feed him and leave it there whilst he eats - he'll probably be more interested in his food than the nasty thing attacking his neck! Leave it on a little longer each time and he'll soon get the hang

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #8

If he is only 8 weeks old, I wouldn't worry about a collar for a while. I don't know whether you intend for Charlie to be an outdoor cat, but hopefully you won't be tempted to let him out until he's had his "snip" - so you've got a long while for him to get used to a collar. He's only a wee chap atm!