Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
01-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #1

Christmas memories

well it's the 1st Dec so fair game

How about we share some past Christmas memories, they could be happy, sad, funny, crazy anything.

I'l start the ball rolling.

One of my earliest memories is lying in bed listening for the sleigh bells. After hearing them i managed finaly to sleep.
I had to wait before i went downstairs to see if father Christmas had been as my parents liked us all to go down together.
One christmas i was delighted to find a dolls Silver Cros pram, complete with a doll who has Pink curly hair. Strangely i wasn't realy keen on dolls then and turfed Tracy out of the pram. She was replaced with my good old Teddy called Yogi.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
01-12-2011, 09:13 PM   #2

Re: Christmas memories

Good idea for a thread Shelley.

I have some very mixed memories. As a child, I had bad asthma and things usually had to be cancelled at the last moment. I remember one Christmas Day, sitting at table having our Christmas dinner. There was a knock at the door, Dad went to answer and there was ........... Father Christmas! There had been an employees' childrens party at the factory where my Dad worked and I hadn't been able to go because I'd been poorly. The men were kind enough to see if they could help to ease my disappointment by coming around in costume in person and delivering my present. I can't remember what it was, I just remember Father Christmas visited me! Neither can I remember how old I was, but I suspect it was pre-school. Those were the days when I went to bed in a normal house on Christmas Eve and woke up to a completely decorated fairyland of a house. My Dad was a marvellous man. Love and miss you, Dad.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #3

The first time I was old enough to go to Midnight Mass on Christmas night with Mom and Aunt Anne. There was something magical at walking the dark deserted streets to church, I'd never been up that late ever before, and of course the church was ablaze with lights, decorations and music. Pretty overwhelming for a little kid.

Catsey Veteran

01-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #4

Angie, my Dad worked for Leyland Motors in the 60's and they used to organise Christmas parties for the employees children.
I realy hated going as i was a shy child. I'd be introduced to an unknown child i would be attending with, then presented with lots of food i hated and party games i didn't want to join in with.

Catsey Veteran

01-12-2011, 09:51 PM   #5

mmmmmm I understand that Shelley, and I probably wouldn't have enjoyed that party either but I still wanted to go!

Catsey Veteran

01-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
mmmmmm I understand that Shelley, and I probably wouldn't have enjoyed that party either but I still wanted to go!
lol, Angie

Catsey Veteran

01-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #7

Eileen, even though i've never been to midnight mass i can appreciate how exciting it would be to a small child, especialy being allowed to stay up so late

Catsey Veteran

01-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #8

Another Christmas memory is Christmas Carols. I love singing Christmas Carols and I remember the hours of rehearsal at school on the stage in the gym. Junior and Senior schools used to rehearse separately and then the dress rehearsal would bring the whole school together. In the last two or three weeks of the Autumn term, I dare say we got very little school work done. The senior school tradition was to sing Adeste Fidelis in Latin - I remember we got a new Reverend Mother in my last year at senior school and we had a battle on our hands to get her to accept that it was a school tradition. We won!

Catsey Veteran

01-12-2011, 10:06 PM   #9

I love christmas carols as well Angie.
The christmas i was 17 was the year my parents bought me my first antique doll. I walked into the living room to find a beautiful celluloid baby doll that i named emily.

Catsey Veteran

01-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #10

The present I remember most fondly was my first record player. It was a portable, with the base black with white spots and the top was white with black spots - and no, it wasn't a wind up one!