Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
09-08-2008, 04:10 PM   #1

Sad remains of the pier

We went to Weston yesterday and ventured on to what was the pier. It was amazing that the wooden walkway leading up to the pavillion was untouched by the horrendous fire. The owners of the pier have made a great effort in allowing the public access on the pier almost as far as the destruction. The fish & chip bar at the entrance has been reopened, tables and chairs have been added to the once empty walkway for people to sit and have meals, and a few amusements have been added.
There are barriers across within approximately 50 yards of the mangled steel girders. I must admit that it brought a lump to my throat seeing it like that after having spent very many happy visits to the pier over the years when my children were young ....and after...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-08-2008, 04:22 PM   #2

Re: Sad remains of the pier

It is a very sorry sight Mags, especially if you have the connections that you and your family obviously do. Do you know if anyone has yet found out why the fire happened?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
09-08-2008, 04:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
It is a very sorry sight Mags, especially if you have the connections that you and your family obviously do. Do you know if anyone has yet found out why the fire happened?
They think it was connected with the deep fat fryers in the cafe(the 4th pic) at the entrance to the pavillion, Angie ......an electrical fault. However, arson hasn't yet been ruled out.

I see someone has replaced the flags as well.......nice touch!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-08-2008, 04:52 PM   #4

It's so sad to look at the destruction. But it does sound as if everyone is rallying around to try to make a visit still a pleasant experience as much as possible .......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
09-08-2008, 04:56 PM   #5

That is a sad sight, something thats been there so long, gone literally in a puff of smoke!!