Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Domestic short haired
chriswt is Male
20-11-2008, 12:07 PM   #1

RSPCA experiences – Good or Bad?

Hi guys,

My partner and I are looking to get another cat and a puppy as well but are now considering steering clear of the RSPCA.

Our first two cats were from the RSPCA and we had no real problems when getting them 4 years ago but recently I’ve been into the local rescue centre to look at both cats and dogs and feel I’m getting interrogated.

I know that the people that work at the centres must see some terrible things but surely when someone walks into the centre looking to offer an animal a secure and loving home you’d think you’d be treated differently.

When I asked about getting a dog I explained that my partner was at home all day and that we have 5 acres of grounds for the dog to roam around, not to mention already owning two rescue kittens and being complete animal lovers but this didn’t seem to interest the centres staff at all.

I’m not trying to blow my own trumpet in the slightest but any animals that we have are treated like one of the family an they get everything they need which is surely what the RSPCA look for in potential owners of their animals.

From talking to a lot of people who have both rescue and bred cats and dogs many of them started off going to the RSPCA but were put off by the treatment and interrogation they received.

Overal the RSPCA to a vital and gallant job and I was going to make a significant donation to the RSPCA after my wedding in May but now I’m not so sure.

Has anyone else had bad experiences when trying to adopt an animal from the RSPCA?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
20-11-2008, 12:28 PM   #2

Re: RSPCA experiences – Good or Bad?

I haven't had much dealings with the RSPCA Chris, but I carry out voluntary work for my local Cats Protection branch and I know that the overall impression of the RSPCA from other charities is not a good one. For one, CP and many others are commited to a no-kill policy; never destroying a healthy animal - even one that is nigh on impossible to rehome. Not so the RSPCA

As to being interrogated; I appreciate that you are obviously a responsible pet owner but you would be amazed at how many people will walk into a rescue centre and spin the most elaborate of stories in order to have an animal rehomed to them. This is the reason why home checks are always carried out!

Having said that, all charities make use of volunteers and, with the best will in the world some of these people don't have very good 'people' skills and can get quite agressive in their attempt to protect the interests of the animals. Bear in mind there is not always the facilities, expertise or funds available for training!

If you want to persevere with the RSPCA, I'd suggest trying to speak to the rehoming officer or the coordinator as these people will be more in a position to make an informed judgement. However, there are many more charities both local and national who are overflowing with pets for rehoming at the moment so maybe consider looking around close to where you live.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Domestic short haired
chriswt is Male
20-11-2008, 12:41 PM   #3

Thanks,

You've made some very valid points, I guess its expensive to run the rehoming side with trained staff and some of the problems come from trying to run everything on a tight budget.

I may start looking elsewhere for our next pets.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
20-11-2008, 09:51 PM   #4

Every time I have asked for any help from the RSPCA they haven't wanted to know, twice would have resulted on the death of a dog (on 2 diff occasions) had I not stepped in myself, the other occasions would have resulted in increased suffering of animals and probably did in some cases I couldnt help with or do anything more myself, so I have very little faith in them meyself and have heard of so many other true incidents in which they have just blatently abused situations and the very animals they are supposed to be helping. Including an elderly cat being taken from hsi own front lawn and being PTS on his doorstep in an attempt to reduce strays as he looked ill apparently, he was just old and very well loved infact, they returned his body to the owners in a black bin liner. I also know of RSPCA staff helping themselves to beds and food e.t.c. donated from the public, apparently they get 'first choice' in some areas....

Just my own personal opinions from things I have witnessed or been told myself but I wouldn't give them the time of day, donate instead to the Dogs Trust, The CPL PAT animals or the PDSA, the PDSA do a sterling job imo and there is also Blue Cross but I know little about them myself.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
20-11-2008, 09:59 PM   #5

I have only had good experiences from our local RSPCA centre, they were very good when we got Bronwyn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
20-11-2008, 10:00 PM   #6

I will never support RSPCA. I reported an extremely emaciated dog which brought tears to my eyes every time I seen it. I told them I had no idea where it was from but the owner walked it past my front door every Tues and Thurs about 8.10 am. Their response - 'we don't have any way of getting an officer to start work before 9am. If I find out where it stays to call them back'. I did try to explain the dog would be dead in a few days but they did not want to know.

I called local dog rescue who had someone in the area the next day. Dog was removed and unfortunately had to be pts as it was so far gone.

Sorry bit of a rant but I still get so annoyed about this.

Please support your local animal rescue/shelter who I am sure would love to help.