Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
17-11-2008, 04:05 PM   #1

Do they really know when we are ill?

Yesterday Lilly (our new kitten) was asleep most of the day. Lucy commented on it & I put it down to her just having a lazy day & thought she'd be trouble last night - but she wasn't! However Ashleigh was sick all day yesterday and John said it's because she knows Ashleigh is unwell. Today Ashleigh has been off school (hence the reason for me being at home) and again the little pumpnin, I mean Lilly (it's a long story) has been asleep with Ashleigh. They have lay on the settee together all day. And apart from getting up to eat & use the litter tray she hasn't moved.

Do they really know when we are unwell??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
17-11-2008, 04:11 PM   #2

Re: Do they really know when we are ill?

Quite likely - their means of communication is quite different from ours.
There are dogs trained to detect skin cancer (melanoma) by smell, and to 'predict' epileptic fits. They are around and working now - others are being investigated for their powers of detection in other human diseases like diabetes.
And you will have come across mother cats who determinedly eject one kitten from a litter from the nest. No matter how many times you put it back, she kicks it out. And whether you leave it with the litter, or try to rear it, it doesn't make it I'm sure the mother knows there is something serious wrong and that she should not waste resources on it but concentrate on the others.

Sweet little kitty to want to be near her poorly new human mummy

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
17-11-2008, 04:41 PM   #3

I am absolutely certain that cats know if a person is poorly. Merlin and Smudge were never friendly with each other and stayed apart except if I was in bed poorly. Then they would both be on the bed with me - at different ends or sides. They didn't fuss, but just stayed there until I started to feel better. It was very much like being nursed.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
17-11-2008, 05:44 PM   #4

indeed they do. Teddie is always ultra affectionate to me when i am ill. She comes and snuggles up and sleeps on my pillow. It's very sweet. Hope Ashleigh is feeling better soon x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
17-11-2008, 09:58 PM   #5

Oh I know they do when I was poorly, the cats and dogs were both so quiet by normal comparison.

Even now I swear they understand.

Hope Ashleigh is a lot better

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
17-11-2008, 10:15 PM   #6

I'm convinced they do. I'm rarely sick, but the odd times I'd come home from work early to go to bed sick, whichever cat it was at the time would come to bed with me and stay there, very quietly. No poking, bouncing or other usual bed-play, just a quiet, comforting presence. They know.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
17-11-2008, 10:17 PM   #7

just b4 my angina attacks my boys (and barnaby) all where paying me extra attention. on my lap. reggie was laying on my chest. so yes they know. and a friend of ours came around and all 3 of them where all over him like a rash. i joked and asked if he had bathed in catnip. he had MS.
and my friend maureen (she passed away last yr) and reggie always sat with her. and they dont do strangers well.