Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
14-11-2008, 09:01 PM   #1

Christmas Trees and Dylan

I'm just wondering if anyone can advise me on what to do at christmas time?

Basically, we never had a problem with Beauty climbing on tables (no doubt because of her age and arthritis) so christmas trees were never an issue when Beauty owned us.

Now that Dylan owns us, it's a different ball game altogether though. Dylan loves climbing and will climb on anything he can get near, which won't be a very good thing when we put the Christmas tree up next month.

How can I stop Dylan trying to climb onto the tree when we put it up? At the moment he's climbing on any surface he can get near (the tree we have got is one of those fake trees)?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
14-11-2008, 10:53 PM   #2

Re: Christmas Trees and Dylan

Mine used to be wee swines in the tree so last year I was particularly cruel and squirted them with a water gun each time they tried it, worked a treat. Might sound bad but I was more concerned they'd hang themselves on the lights or something.Wonder what Ani will think of it this year (oh and plz if you do decide to do this don't put the lights on the tree!).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
14-11-2008, 11:04 PM   #3

You probably won't be able to stop him climbing on it! Secure it...tie to something so it won't tip over. Don't use breakable glass ornaments or tinsel icicles; if you think he might chew on light cords be careful of leaving them lit if no one is around to supervise him.

You may be one of the lucky people whose cats don't climb Christmas trees. I was, for many cats for many years, so finally got careless about tying it so it wouldn't get knocked over and...of course, that was the year it happened! What a MESS!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
14-11-2008, 11:10 PM   #4

I never have a real tree now as now because of the cats, oddly enough they don't seem to fuss as much over a fake one, but a real one, there's no stopping them!

When I had Colin neutered last year it was Christmas time and my mum picked us up and we went to hers for tea after collecting him, she had a real tree and he had a whale of a time, and right after being neutered! The vets actually rang me early to come and collect him and I remember still what they said - "As beautiful as his singing voice is, we think he's more than ready to come home as soon as possible!"

The sacrifices you have to make eh?

Cats owned: siamese cross
14-11-2008, 11:55 PM   #5

mine didn't climb the tree ...but had house of fun playing football with the baubles!! I was forever finding them under the sofas and cupboards.

The water idea is a good one. It should only take a couple of squirts I'm sure before Dylan gets the message. Perhaps a scratching post placed nearby would be a good alternative?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-11-2008, 12:27 AM   #6

Don't use that lametta type tinsel either as if a cat chews that it could easily block his insides.

I am lucky in that Merlin has batted a few baubles, but that's all.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
15-11-2008, 12:42 AM   #7

Cassie was a little devil for climbing the tree when she was younger .....she would jump up through the middle and perch herself on the branches.

Once a cat has climbed a decorated tree there is no way that you can get it to look nice again........other than take all the decorations off and start from the beginning!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
15-11-2008, 09:58 AM   #8

Thankfully none of my 3 bother with my tree much, well, they certainly don't try to climb it. Broxi just likes to clamber over all the presents stocked underneath and get to the back to chew on the tinsel unseen He's a horror for that. Cleaning out the litter tray is an interesting experience lol.