Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
10-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #1

Credit crunch and animal rescues

http://www.eveningleader.co.uk/news/...les.4482460.jp

Must be really hard for many people right now having to lose their homes and their pets too, not to mention the hardships that all the rescues face too.
Such a very sad situation to have to be in all round.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
10-11-2008, 07:46 PM   #2

Re: Credit crunch and animal rescues

There was a very similar story run in our local daily paper too. I think it's making a difficult situation almost impossible. Whilst I agree that there are cases where people really and genuinely need to rehome a pet, there is a lot of knee-jerk reaction going on and also people using it as an excuse to hide behind in order to continue their habitual pet-dumping practice.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
10-11-2008, 09:46 PM   #3

I know one thing: the rescues round here are literally crowded! The one I volunteer at hasgot more cats than it can cope with so is really struggling!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
10-11-2008, 09:54 PM   #4

That's so sad And I can completely understand why it's happening, when the purse strings are simply drawn too tight. I'm sure these families did all they could to keep their pets, I know I would.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
10-11-2008, 10:08 PM   #5

I agree its sad the situation people are in at the moment. But i agree a lot with Yola in her post. If it came to me i would fight tooth an nail to keep all of my animals. I know of someone who lost her house and in the end slept in her van for almost 18 months because she would be parted from her dogs.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
10-11-2008, 10:19 PM   #6

Im actually currently in this situation and I have tried everything I can to try and keep my animals with me, I have searched everywhere for a property that will allow me to take them with me but with no luck at all.
Its a horrible situation to be in

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
10-11-2008, 11:54 PM   #7

Whilst I do agree with Yola that there are those who will use it as some sort of excuse there will be many others who are genuinely torn up about the whole situation, Poor Erin is a prime example as she has 5 animals and i am sure that when she took them on she had no idea of the break down of her relationship, the redundancy and now to lose her home too. She has no van to sleep in with her animals. I am sure there are going to many many more just like Erin around the country which is really really sad.
I just dont know how I would cope in that situation.
I do also really feel for the rescues, and it does worry me that as they will be over flowing and unable to take in any more animals that there will be alot of poor creatures abandoned.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
11-11-2008, 10:34 AM   #8

Oh Erin, I'm so sorry I really didn't realise that you were in such a predicament Please know that I'm wishing you all the luck in the world in finding yourself a home that will work for you and for your pets too. And I certainly didn't want to diminish the suffering of those who genuinely are finding themselves with such difficult decisions to make.

The only reason I wrote what I did is from 1st hand experience of our own CP branch where people seem to be handing cats in without much genuine reason (trust me we ask everyone who turns up with a cat for rehoming why they have made the decision to do so). Nobody is judged but statistically we need to record the reasons why cats are handed over.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
11-11-2008, 10:38 AM   #9

Erin, I really hope it works out for you too, in the best way possible. The idea of someone staying in a van for a few months just to hang onto their dog is an extreme case, and not one we could all physically manage. Some people work from home, so need an office space, or have other dependents such as children. I think it's safe to say that everyone here on Catsey is fully dedicated to their pets and loves them beyond belief, but sometimes situations are completely unavoidable.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
11-11-2008, 10:32 PM   #10

we are struggling over here but making it work with the current babies we have (most rescued). sad thing is i can't afford to help out more for the rest in need and i fear overloading the humane society..they have enough on their hands. kinda hoping the number of abandoned animals will magically go down though that's not likely.
i'd love to donate money to shelters but can't afford it as all our money is going to our personal babies. i look outside at the dreary weather and think of all those animals then think of how lucky my babies are. that's the only consolation.
craigslist is full of rehoming situations as well. not sure what to think of that.