Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
10-11-2008, 02:44 PM   #1

We can't find Dylan!

We last saw Dylan an hour ago, watching out of the window and playing with his catnip toy. He spooked himself with his catnip toy and went racing off, now we can't find him anywhere! Doors and windows are shut, so unless he can walk through walls or solid windows or doors, which I don't think he can, he'd still be inside somewhere. We have looked everywhere inside we can think of, checked under all beds, behind everything, inside anywhere he can get, in the garage (in case he got outside somehow) all round the garden, in fact we've run out of places to look!

I hope nothing nasty has happened to him! I'f he hasn't turned up by tonight I'll let the vets know and phone the local rescue centre. I'll try to print his picture off as well. *prays nothing has happened to Dylan*

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
10-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #2

Re: We can't find Dylan!

RCR, he's probably hiding. If there are absolutely no windows or doors open then he can't have gotten out. It sounds like he's settling in well, which may lead you to forget he's in a new place so likely to get spooked and hide for a good while. Cats are the masters of hiding, and not being found. I live in a relatively small one-bedroom flat and one day I couldn't find Minsky anywhere. I searched everywhere, called on him, no where to be seen. A few hours later he sauntered into the living room quite the thing. He had obviously find a new hidey place.

I don't think there's anything the vet can do. Just don't keep looking for him, give it a few hours rest, as the disruption of your hunting for him may make him more spooked and hide for longer.

Just wait for a few hours, read a book, make a cup of tea, and relax.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-11-2008, 03:10 PM   #3

Good advice, meep!

Come out come out wherever you are, Dylan!

Catsey Veteran

10-11-2008, 03:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep
RCR, he's probably hiding. If there are absolutely no windows or doors open then he can't have gotten out. It sounds like he's settling in well, which may lead you to forget he's in a new place so likely to get spooked and hide for a good while. Cats are the masters of hiding, and not being found. I live in a relatively small one-bedroom flat and one day I couldn't find Minsky anywhere. I searched everywhere, called on him, no where to be seen. A few hours later he sauntered into the living room quite the thing. He had obviously find a new hidey place.

I don't think there's anything the vet can do. Just don't keep looking for him, give it a few hours rest, as the disruption of your hunting for him may make him more spooked and hide for longer.

Just wait for a few hours, read a book, make a cup of tea, and relax.

I'll stay on Catsey for an hour or two then go looking for him again. It's hard to believe that we've only had him a few days, it feels like he's been here for at least ten years!

Almost a Veteran Member

10-11-2008, 03:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuecatsrule
I'll stay on Catsey for an hour or two then go looking for him again. It's hard to believe that we've only had him a few days, it feels like he's been here for at least ten years!
I know the feeling! My two were like that when we got them too, settled in straight away. But that's why I mentioned it as it's easy to forget. Even though he's happy and likes his new home, it's still new and he won't feel 100% safe. He'll still be unsure.

I wouldn't look until at least after dinner. Chances are if he's hidden, he'll then fall asleep there. I remember a member on here (I forget who, sorry!) had their puss go missing and were really worried, and then found her but she'd hidden somewhere so stuck up that they couldn't get her out. She just had to leave her and she came out the next morning.

I know you must be worried, but if you're absolutely positive that there were no windows or doors are open then he cannot have gotten out, and he's not gone far.

Catsey Veteran

10-11-2008, 03:15 PM   #6

[quote=meep;519007]I know the feeling! My two were like that when we got them too, settled in straight away. But that's why I mentioned it as it's easy to forget. Even though he's happy and likes his new home, it's still new and he won't feel 100% safe. He'll still be unsure.

I wouldn't look until at least after dinner. Chances are if he's hidden, he'll then fall asleep there. I remember a member on here (I forget who, sorry!) had their puss go missing and were really worried, and then found her but she'd hidden somewhere so stuck up that they couldn't get her out. She just had to leave her and she came out the next morning.

I know you must be worried, but if you're absolutely positive that there were no windows or doors are open then he cannot have gotten out, and he's not gone far.[/QUOTE]

I went round checking all windows, none open and the only time the front door was open was while we were searching and before we reaslised he'd disappeared. We went outside and shut the door straight away.

Almost a Veteran Member

10-11-2008, 03:17 PM   #7

[quote=rescuecatsrule;519008]
Quote:
I know the feeling! My two were like that when we got them too, settled in straight away. But that's why I mentioned it as it's easy to forget. Even though he's happy and likes his new home, it's still new and he won't feel 100% safe. He'll still be unsure.

I know you must be worried, but if you're absolutely positive that there were no windows or doors are open then he cannot have gotten out, and he's not gone far.[/QUOTE]

I went round checking all windows, none open and the only time the front door was open was while we were searching and before we reaslised he'd disappeared. We went outside and shut the door straight away.
Well then you've answerd the problem yourself: he is in the house! If he'd hurt himself he'd be yowling so he's more than likely found a lovely, quiet, cosy place to have a nap and will be perturbed by anyone coming to find him and disturbing him!

Catsey Veteran

10-11-2008, 03:21 PM   #8

[quote=meep;519010]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuecatsrule

Well then you've answerd the problem yourself: he is in the house! If he'd hurt himself he'd be yowling so he's more than likely found a lovely, quiet, cosy place to have a nap and will be perturbed by anyone coming to find him and disturbing him!
So I should wait until he comes looking for me then?

Almost a Veteran Member

10-11-2008, 03:25 PM   #9

I wouldn't say that if he's still missing in 2 days time that you should keep waiting! I just think it's very early days. He only went missing an hour ago, which by cat standards isn't long at all. And like I said, he's spooked in a new place, so looking for him by crouching under beds, shouting his name, disturbing the area around where he might be will only make him more freaked out. He doesn't know you well enough yet to come running at the sound of a familiar noise or name. Looking for him in an all-out search-every-nook-and-cranny way could have the opposite effect by making him hide harder and for longer.

So yes, I would wait for him to come find you. Cats are hugely curious and like to do things on their own terms. No cat will be forced out of a hiding place if found.

I would find something nice to do this afternoon, like a good book to read, have your supper and then once you've relaxed and had a wee while to yourself, maybe have a fresh search around 7pm this evening.

It sounds like he definately can't have gotten out the house so he will be there somewhere! Like I said, Minsky once went hidey and I couldn't find him anywhere, and to this day still don't know where he goes when he mysteriousl disappears for half a day (and they have no outside access whatsoever, I'm first floor flat!)

Catsey Veteran

10-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #10

Quote:
I wouldn't say that if he's still missing in 2 days time that you should keep waiting! I just think it's very early days. He only went missing an hour ago, which by cat standards isn't long at all. And like I said, he's spooked in a new place, so looking for him by crouching under beds, shouting his name, disturbing the area around where he might be will only make him more freaked out. He doesn't know you well enough yet to come running at the sound of a familiar noise or name. Looking for him in an all-out search-every-nook-and-cranny way could have the opposite effect by making him hide harder and for longer.

So yes, I would wait for him to come find you. Cats are hugely curious and like to do things on their own terms. No cat will be forced out of a hiding place if found.

I would find something nice to do this afternoon, like a good book to read, have your supper and then once you've relaxed and had a wee while to yourself, maybe have a fresh search around 7pm this evening.

It sounds like he definately can't have gotten out the house so he will be there somewhere! Like I said, Minsky once went hidey and I couldn't find him anywhere, and to this day still don't know where he goes when he mysteriousl disappears for half a day (and they have no outside access whatsoever, I'm first floor flat!)
I'll finish on Catsey, get a good book to read, maybe go down town for an hour or two, then if he hasn't turned up by early evening (it's about 2:30pm here) then I'll start worrying again