Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: black and white
01-10-2008, 04:58 PM   #1

plea for help!

Hi there,

I am member of dogsey so some of you may already know me and my dog Max we live in spain but are moving back to the uk next month.

Anyway my husband as been in the UK this week to find us a house to rent he's been successful, but and its a sad story the eldery couple who lived in the house the man died and his wife as alziemers and has had to go into a home, leaving behind a cat which keeps returning to the now empty house the agents have asked us if we would take the cat on. the owners family has asked her to rehome it. I cant see it homeless or even worse!

But my plea is I have no idea how to look after a cat so i guess i need a idiots guide any help or advise would be usefully and im sure that like on dogsey you will come to my aid! we dont move back for 3 weeks and a nieghbour as been feeding the cat up til now...

what foods best how often i have no idea, vets jabs? everything!!!!

please help...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
01-10-2008, 05:40 PM   #2

Re: plea for help!

That's so kind of you to look after the cat. Please forgive me as I don't have time for a lengthy response at the moment, but caring for a cat is relatively straightforward. The main thing will be to gain the cat's reassurance and security. I'll try and come later tonight or tomorrow to share further thoughts. I'm sure others will be on long before me though with some sound advice.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
01-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #3

How good of you to take the cat on. I'm sure you'll get along fine.

As yola said - quite straightforward. I'd probably sum it up with food, warmth, health, shelter.

Find out what the neighbour has been feeding and stick to that for a few days. Then decide if you want to change to a different quality or type of food. I feed mine a mixture of pouches, tins and dried. Tend to stick to Felix, Hi life, and whiskas for wet and Hills science for dry. But that is really a matter of preference. Amounts vary depending on cats age and whether it puts on weight easily or not. Always have water available

It would be useful if you knew if the cat was registered with a particular vet, then you would know it's history for jabs, etc. If not then try to find a good local vet. Perhaps someone here would know of one dependingf on the area you're moving back to.

Toileting - will depend on if it has used a litter tray in the past. If yes, no probs, buy a tray and try out different types of litter (there is a thread on here about litter types) If no, then will you put in cat flap to let it in and out and/or try to train it.

Warmth and shelter - self explanatory.

You'll find a cat is a joy to have, and at a basic level, not that much different from looking after a dog, although they can seem to be more independant.

The good news is no long walks in freezing rain is required!!!!

I really do wish you luck and as you probably know, this is a really helpful and friendly forum where folks are always happy to help and give their opinion so if you need help, just holler.

CM

Catsey Junior

01-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #4

Forgot to say Max my golden retriever is 2 years old and im a bit worried how the two of they will get on. Do you think as its the cats home me may fare better than if we brought the cat here into his home?

All i know is the cats black and white Don't know a age or whether its a boy or a girl!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
01-10-2008, 06:23 PM   #5

Hello,welcome to Catsey

How very kind of you to take on the care of this poor cat who has sadly lost both its owners. Cats are relatively easy to look after, they are happy as long as they comfort, food, water and the love of their owner.

You may find it useful to read this about caring for your cat ..........and here for feeding.

You will also need a litter tray and cat litter too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
01-10-2008, 06:24 PM   #6

All I can suggest is introduce them slowly. Try to let them know each other is about but not actually meet for a few days.

I have Goldens and find they are great with the cats. Might take the cat a bit longer if it is older and not used to dogs. Last time I introduced an adult cat to the dogs it had a hissy fit for a few days and then they decided it wasn't worth the energy.

CM

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
03-10-2008, 08:26 AM   #7

I think this wil be fine
I'm sure puss wil be pleased to have company and have some heat on in the house!
If your dog takes a while to be calm enough for the cat's comfort, you could think of putting in a stair gate or similar barrier, so the cat knows there are parts of the house where the dog can never go.

Good luck - hope your move goes well

Catsey Junior

03-10-2008, 09:00 AM   #8

Thanks for all the advice i knew i could count on all of you.

I hadn't thought about the stair gate idea the house is a bungalow matthew my eldest son is looking forward to having a cat and as said can it come in my room! maybe i'll make that its save haven.

will be able to tell better when i get over there only 2.5 weeks to go i cant wait...

mel x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
03-10-2008, 09:14 AM   #9

it took about 2 weeks for my cats to accept ben (im bens mum on dogsey) but there was always some whee for the cats to go to when they had enough of a big hairy mutt wanting to stick his wet nose where cats dont like it LOL (he still does it ) but ben and the boys get on really well now.
so good luck with the move, and the cat n dog situation.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: nnnnnn
03-10-2008, 11:54 AM   #10

aww that is really nice of you!!

do you know what food he eats? id stick to that & just go really slowly!

do you know anything abotu what vets he went too? im sure if he goes out his prob neutered/spayed and vacd already!

cant wait for pics!!