Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
14-07-2008, 10:30 PM   #1

hello

Hi, nice to meet you all. We have 9 cats all dsh. Mostly rescues who were going to be PTS.
Our youngest has spent today in the vet with swelling in his 3 legs (he only has 3), and it is now thought he may have FIV, the vet's snap test was positive so we've sent a sample off to the lab to confirm. I will be posting for advice tomorrow after I've spoken to the vet as I was in such a state of shock I didn't take in all that was said. He has had a full set of bloods run and an abdominal scan done, so once I see the results I will be able to ask sensible questions.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
14-07-2008, 10:36 PM   #2

Re: hello

Hi, welcome to Catsey!

So sorry to hear about your young cat, it must have come as a great shock to you..

Ask any questions you have, we usually have someone here who can come up with an answer for you.

Looking forward to chatting with you..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
14-07-2008, 10:40 PM   #3

Sorry to hear about your young cat...

Catsey Veteran

15-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #4

Hi, thanks for your welcome.
I've just seen Triger's records and his bloods were fine, they couldn't see anything on the scan because of fluid in the abdomen and his heart sounds fine. They are now concerned about FIP, does anybody have experience of this and how at risk are my other cats. I know things are now very bleak for Triger.
Triger is 5.
The rest are Pumpkin and Mustard, both 6, Sooty is 8, Candy is 11, Spice is 16, Smudge is 15, Samson is 14 and Misty is 19.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
15-07-2008, 12:07 PM   #5

Hi, a warm welcome to you. Sorry you're finding us under such worrying circumstances.

I had an FIV cat but have no experience of FIP. I'm sure one of our more knowledgable members will be along shortly.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-07-2008, 04:33 PM   #6

Hi, sorry your introduction was such a sad one; you must be so concerned. I've had no experience with FIP but am sure some members who have will be along with advice.

Your cats sound lovely, Any chance of pics?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH Cats
15-07-2008, 04:50 PM   #7

Hello Welcome to the wonderful world of Catsey! Hope you enjoy it here

We have 9 cats as well & all DSH! Hope to see photos of all your kitties someday

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
15-07-2008, 05:19 PM   #8

I don't have any experience with FIP either! Sorry to hear what you are going through - you must be worried sick!

Catsey Veteran

15-07-2008, 07:35 PM   #9

Thanks, everybody.
It has been confirmed Triger has FIV, and we can't stop the oedema in his body- his legs, abdomen and face are now swollen, all this since Thursday. I have a diuretic injection to give him tonight to keep him comfortable, but I think he will have to be PTS tomorrow. I just can't believe this has happened so quickly, he was such a lean, well muscled cat, and only 5, I can't understand it.
I will get the other cats tested, I hope they should be OK because they never fight, except for Triger and Mustard play fighting, but I've never even had a cat with a cat bite abscess.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
15-07-2008, 08:20 PM   #10

So sorry that you have joined us at this sad time. Thinking of you and Triger {{{Hugs}}} to you both.