Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
10-01-2014, 10:37 AM   #1

sudden lameness in kitten.

Hi to everyone on Catsey. Another problem with one of Miracle's kittens. Young Freddie was unable to walk last night. His back legs kept giving way on him and he was very distressed. (He wasn't the only one!). I rushed him to the vet this morning and she found he has a luxating patella in the right leg. His kneecap is dislocated. She feels that he was born with this but the kneecap has now moved further and causing him a lot of pain. He will need surgery to repair it unfortunately. He is now on temgesic and metacam for the pain. Hopefully this will keep the pain at manageable levels for 2 weeks until my regular vet returns and does more x-rays .In the meantime, I will keep the poor wee guy as quiet as possible..I was wondering if anyone has had a cat with this condition and if so, what was the outcome.Oh, thanks to everyone who wished Freddie's sister, Betsy-May, well after her spaying. She is now much better and will be going to see the vet nurse tomorrow to have her stitches checked.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #2

Re: sudden lameness in kitten.

Oh dinky, so sorry to hear about poor Freddie. I have no advice to offer I'm afraid. Please give him a wee nose rub from me.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
10-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #3

Aw poor Freddie, I have never had any experience of this but found this link which may be of some help.

http://www.michigananimalhospital.com/page/452281652

Almost a Veteran Member

10-01-2014, 09:41 PM   #4

Thanks to you both for your kind thoughts and for the link to the complaint.It seems that Freddie was born with this condition. I am just trying to keep him comfortable with the meds until he can see my own vet in 2 weeks time. The pain makes him reluctant to walk anyway, but at times, he is better than others.If he needs surgery( and the vet yesterday said he definitely would) then he will have it. I don't have a lot of money-many people lost their jobs after the quakes here in Christchurch, and I was one of them- but my family are very supportive and will help me out.My vet will also let me pay it off over a few months. I think it could be rather expensive, but he will definitely be treated. It's so distressing seeing him dragging his back legs around.Thanks for all your support.I am grateful.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
10-01-2014, 10:38 PM   #5

Our Pumpkin had luxating patella on both back legs! They were both permanently dislocated. We got him when he was 10 months old and he always walked a bit funny. The vets assumed it was due to trauma before we got him, he was a feral. He went lame and the vets did x-rays, it turned out he had it on both legs but had ruptured the cruciate on one side due to it have no support.
He had an operation to fix the knee cap and cruciate on one side and was on cage rest for 2 months, he then got the other side done a year later.
He's fine now, walks a bit funny and we keep him as a house cat, but he can jump and run.
My dog Bruno also occassionally dislocates his kneecap, his leg is limp and we need to flex it, it immediately pops back into place and he is fine.
Hope this helps.

Almost a Veteran Member

11-01-2014, 01:32 AM   #6

Thanks for that Farthing. You've eased my mind a lot.I'm so pleased that your beautiful Pumpkin is now happy and pain free.. I'm not looking forward to that period of crate rest though. Your baby seemed pretty content from the look of the photo, but it must be hard on a cat.My English Mastiff, Willow ,ruptured a cruciate ligament when she was literally fighting for her life while being attacked by a pack of malamutes at a dog park.She had to be crated for 6 weeks after the operation and she is now OK but still limps slightly.and bears the scars of that horrific attack. I'm thrilled that you are able to help poor Bruno without resorting to surgery.Let's hope it remains so.Thanks for the information and support..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
12-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #7

wishing Freddie well x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
13-01-2014, 11:31 AM   #8

Poor Freddie but I'm glad to hear something can be done for him. Good luck with his operation, until them I'm sure he'll be fine under your loving care