Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: NA
10-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #1

I have some questions regarding chinchilla persian cats please?

I am hoping for a chinchilla persian kitten, I live in a rented house so I have to ask my landlady first.
She already let us have a dog so hopefully she doesn't think we're being too cheeky enquiring about a cat too!

Assuming we can have a kitty, I would really like a chinchilla persian. Actually, I would like a white doll faced persian but the chinchilla seems to be the only nice, normal faced persian I can find. And it's almost white!

I found a really good breeder, then, I found a few things that threw me.

1. She bred a beautiful cat that did very well in the shows. I think her new owner was planning to breed her, then, she died suddenly of a heart attack!

Now, the breeder said that the vet thought she may have had a heart murmur and it was one of those things that could happen to anyone. I asked other breeders and they all agreed that it was probably unlikely to be an inherited defect and don't let it put you off. So I put it to the back of the mind.

2. Then, I found a study on google saying that hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is a problem in Persians, up to 40% could be affected! It is an inherited disease and causes sudden heart attacks....
I have yet to find a single breeder who screens their Persians for HCM!?!?!?!

3. This breeder is pkd negative, which is great. But one of her breeding cats just died at 11 from cysts on the kidneys?

This post isn't meant as a breeder bash, I genuinely like her and until I found out the above points I was 100% certain that if we can have a cat, I would buy from her.

Just want people's opinions as I obviously want a cat that is in the best of health and its a lot of money for a cat that could be unhealthy.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #2

Re: I have some questions regarding chinchilla persian cats please?

Hi Laura! I have no experience of Persian cats nor of breeding but there are a few Persian owners on this forum so I hope that they will see your post and offer advise.

Personally, with all the moggies in rescue needing good caring homes, I'd opt for one of those, but that's just my opinion.

10-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #3

Hope so!

I am not against rescue cats, My siamese cross was from a pound. i Just really fancy a chinchilla.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
10-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #4

Welcome to Catsey. I have no experience of Persians either as I too always opt for rescues.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Oriental
16-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #5

All I can say is do enough research so that you feel you can make as an informed decision as possible. Any cat can get ill at the end of the day.

My personal opinion is that if you wanted a healthy cat, then don't get a persian. They're not the healthiest of the bunch.

What is it that you like about the persian? Are there similar qualities in healthier breeds?

16-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #6

This is true.

Hmm, I hate the conventional persian with the squashed face.
I like the old fashioned, doll face Persians which have the thick coat and cobby body but a nice normal face.

Unfortunately, only America seems to have them, the chinchilla persian is the closest alternative as they have a longer nose.

Sigh. I might just get a moggy kitten from a rescue.
I refuse to pay money for deliberately bred mogs on pets4homes and the like and would love a doll face or chinchilla persian but its a lot of money and I am really concerned not so much about the health problems in the breed but the fact that breeders seem to acknowledge pkd only. As if no other disease exists!!

I don't know if a rescue will rehome to us though, rented house, a 4 year old, second baby on the way soon probably plus a border collie!

Catsey Junior

16-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #7

There are pros and cons to rescues and pedigrees. With either, as long as you know you can give them everything they need for their total lifespan, then that's the main thing.

Please ensure you're not supporting a byb though. Ensure any breeder is doing it for the love of the breed, and their main goal is for health and character, not looks and shows.

It might be worth enquiring with rescue charities. You won't know until you ask!

If you do go for a pedigree, really do think about what you can commit to give your cat for the short-term and long-term, and what kind of relationship you want with it. I wanted vocal characters that had an energy for life and that were an active part in my life. I knew I could dedicate a lot of my time as I work from home partially, so that and various other reasons meant I went with oriental/siamese

16-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #8

I have always had cats since i was a young child and not looking for any particular trait really.

I love the look of long hair and love grooming it and making it look pretty so I'd like a longhaired cat but I have no preference for energy levels or personality really.

I am home all day

My dad used to be a Siamese breeder and my last cat was a Siamese cross, they are lovely cats.

Catsey Junior

16-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #9

If you're not looking for anything in particular, then perhaps there's a long haired rescue kitty out there waiting for a forever home? Let us know what happens

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
29-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #10

I have had Persians for 16 years; the initial two as kittens from breeders and two subsequent rescues. My first - a blue boy - was from a (I now realise) suspect breeder and although sickly as a kitten, he was with us for 13 years. The second was a doll-faced lilac cream and she was with us for 14 years. She was beautifully bred for looks and temperament by a highly ethical breeder who I think is now retired. Neither were particularly susceptible to illness and were on the whole quite healthy until almost the end.

The first rescue persian died suddenly in our care - I suspect of a sudden heart attack, and the second rescue is still with our family and going stong at 7 years of age.

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them.