Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
09-07-2009, 08:55 AM   #1

Book recommendations

As we are totally incapable of getting it together to do the cyber book club thing (did someone say it's like trying to herd cats?), I thought that an alternative might be to just have a thread where we comment on recent reads and put recommendations (or the alternative) for other members.

So, my holiday reads (I'm going to cheat and put the Amazon link to the description of the books, with added personal comments from me)

Narrow Dog to Carcassone
Link This book was in the 'library' at the holiday apartment. I had heard of it before and been recommended to read it. I loved the very dry, very English, writing style, the story/adventure told, the French link and the star of the book - Jim the Whippet.

Guernica
Link
Set in the Spanish Civil War and WW2 and in Basque Spain (which we passed through, hence my interest). It has been compared to Captain Corelli's Mandolin and there are similarities, though I think Bolling's style is a little easier than de Bernieres'. There are some tough passages, as you would expect, the loss of characters one had grown fond of, and maybe a little too much 'saccharine'. However, it was a reasonable read and kept me hooked till the end

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
Link
I loved this one (how could you not love a book with a title like that?). Based on Guernsey during the Nazi occupation it is a charming and cleverly written book, with a story told totally in 'letters' - there is no narrative or conversation.

The Overlook
Link
I hadn't come across this author before, though he is obviously a well known and well regarded crime author. This story is not thought to be his best but I enjoyed it - it's fast moving (the whole book only covers a few days) and the characters seem plausible. There is a story twist which completely fooled me, though maybe I would have expected it had I known Connely's work.

The Unbearable Lightness of Scones
Link
I'm not sure about this one. Liked the Edinburgh-ness, and enjoyed some of the eccentric characters and situations but I'm not sure that the whole thing hung together terribly well. I may read it again to make my mind up about it and see if I will look at the other 44 Scotland Street novels.

Angels and Demons
Link
Mr DM says Don't Go There - Life's too short! He did get to the end but spent most of his reading time snorting in derision. The book is left in the apartment, so I won't get the opportunity to waste any of my time on it. I didn't mind The Da Vinci Code, as a holiday read, but apparently the follow up has no merit at all; no lieterary merit and a totally ludicrous story.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
09-07-2009, 11:37 AM   #2

Re: Book recommendations

DM you first sentence made me laugh outloud...yet honest...take up writing yourself.
Anyhow I can't get as technical as you with the links however can give the title a brief outline and if I enjoyed it or not.
My holiday (Cornwall and Somerset as well as Spain) were
1. Under the Paw (Tom Cox)
Confessions of a Cat Man, I thought being a cat person I would enjoy this but it was hard work to get through and not my cup of tea at all I think I was expecting something like "the cat that came from Christas" sort of thing which this is not...although a friend has since read it and enjoyed it so each to their own.
2. The Lady Elizabeth (Alison Weir)
An historicaly based book on Elizabeth I before she became Queen thoroughly readable and enjoyable so much so I intend to buy the other books by this author and read this week. If you like historical based books this is for you with the element of writers imagination thrown in.
3.Moab Is My Washpot (Stephen Fry)
I like Stephen Fry and thought his autobiography first 20 years would be a good read but I just could not wade my way through....although parts captured me I could not make myself want to get to the end...one of the few books I have left in the middle maybe its my fault...and I will be able to return I hope so as I was looking forward to the book.
4. Full Hearts & Empty Bellies (Winifred Foley)
A 1920's childhood fom the Forest of Dean to the streets of London. I enjoyed this a book showing the rise of a young girl from poverty in an almost vanished world a miners daughter. Who went into service and her story...enjoyable read.
5. Spilling the Beans (Clarissa Dickson Wright)
Simply the autobiography of the above mentioned author. The woman has led a "life and half already" daughter to an Australian heiress and a brilliant surgeon who was sadly also a tyrannical and violent drunk. She was called to the bar at 21....no mean feat, the youngest woman to do so. When her mother died she drank and partied away her enormous inheritance. Which brought her to cookery and Television. A very very good read and one I would say read even f like me all you knew of her was she was one of the two fat ladies.

IF ANYONE WANTS ANY OF THE ABOVE HAPPY TO POST OUT....I NEVER READ A BOOK TWICE.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-07-2009, 11:42 AM   #3

Just have to say about Angels and Demons - if you read it as a horror story, IMO it is scary and fast moving. Leave out the anti-matter stuff and the plot is OK. The RC church obviously thought people would swallow it complete and that's why they got their ecclesiastical knickers in a twist!

A Wild Sheep Chase - Haruki Murakami
Link

Just about to finish this - and have so far enjoyed it. Not sure how it's going to end. The most interesting part to me is that I have never read anything by a Japanese author before and IMO there is a difference in perception which is very interesting. Whether that is general or not, I don't know, but Murakami is very well thought of as "Franz Kafka's successor" and there certainly is something a couple of degrees off centre in this entertaining book. I have recommended it to Calismum a couple of times!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
09-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #4

DM You have captured my imagination with your book The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society...let you know what I think...when I've read it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-07-2009, 04:50 PM   #5

I was thinking of doing this also DM, as the Book Club seems to be dead in the water now; glad you started the thread. I'll list a few of my recent reads after lunch ......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
09-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
I was thinking of doing this also DM, as the Book Club seems to be dead in the water now; glad you started the thread. I'll list a few of my recent reads after lunch ......
I agree - this might work and encourage a few more people to participate and recommend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
DM You have captured my imagination with your book The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society...let you know what I think...when I've read it.
Me too - the title is intruiging.

[quote=angieh;565452]Just have to say about Angels and Demons - if you read it as a horror story, IMO it is scary and fast moving. Leave out the anti-matter stuff and the plot is OK. The RC church obviously thought people would swallow it complete and that's why they got their ecclesiastical knickers in a twist!

A Wild Sheep Chase - Haruki Murakami
Link

Just about to finish this - and have so far enjoyed it. Not sure how it's going to end. The most interesting part to me is that I have never read anything by a Japanese author before and IMO there is a difference in perception which is very interesting. Whether that is general or not, I don't know, but Murakami is very well thought of as "Franz Kafka's successor" and there certainly is something a couple of degrees off centre in this entertaining book. I have recommended it to Calismum a couple of times![/QUOTE]

......and she is going to read it at some point. Read a few reviews and it sounds like I may enjoy it.

I'll add to this thread later with some that I have got through recently.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
17-07-2009, 02:27 AM   #7

Recent reads:

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane

A graduate history student staying in her long closed family home over the Summer while she's trying to decide on a dissertation theme becomes involved in looking for a book...flashbacks between the Salem witch trials in 1631 and the present. Interesting characters, good read, alhough the presence of actual witchcraft at the conclusion was a bit off-putting . When reading fantasy or sci-fi I expect something like that, but slightly startling in a regular novel. ***

The Pact - Jodi Picault

I know, potboiler chick lit, but a good Summer beach read. Take one middle class family or single parent, throw in a horrendous medical/ethical/moral situation, shake well and serve! This one is about a teenage suicide pact ....or is it? The courtroom scenes were excellent. Didn't like the ending. **

Medusa - Clive Cussler

He, with his associates, really writes the same book over and over also. An upcoming deadly threat to the US or the world; only the brilliant minds at NUMA can save us! This time it's an ancient virus, the Chinese are the villians, and the usual swashbuckling derring-do above and below the sea! That said, an enjoyable read, passed the time. **

Year of Wonder - Gealdine Brooks

Give this one 4 stars! A fictional retelling of a true story: a small mining village in 1666, the year of the Plague. The inhabitants voluntarily closed themselves off from the outside world when the plague struck. It's told from the viewpoint of a young widow overeducated for her social class who works for the Vicar. It can be a bit graphic in spots of you're squeamish, but a very well written story of what can happen to people's faith, relationships and the social order in such circumstances.

Catsey Veteran

17-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #8

Just finished A Wild Sheep Chase as mentioned previously. A satisfactory ending, although not satisfying - bit of a did he/didn't he????

Now about to start The Lollipop Shoes by Joanne Harris. I am a fan of her books, this one had mixed reviews. I'll let you know.

Catsey Veteran

29-07-2009, 01:55 PM   #9

The Lollipop Shoes by Joanne Harris
A two day book this one. Got me over a sickly weekend, and I did enjoy it. "Chocolat" it isn't as it doesn't have the several strong plot elements - there really is only one. It was scary by implication that never came to fruition really but I did hope that the character who turned out to be evil would be redeemed as she was painted interestingly. There was almost a sort of "catholicism" to her - she was bad and interesting but had to be unmasked ...... no end though, so she may come back in a later book. I felt the Mexican Pantheon sat uneasily ...........

Have to say that I have tried one of Vianne's charms and it has worked every time I have used it!!!

I may now finally move on to Suite Francaise!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
29-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #10

Was Chocolat her first book? I loved it - thought that is had quite a bit of depth, as well as being a supremely easy read (hated the film, btw, but that's nothing new)
Since that I've read the beachy book, whose title I can't remember, and Blackberry Wine, both of which I found unsatisfying and twee.
Did I tell you I mer Joanne Harris - she seemed very nice.

I see the buses are carrying adverts for the film of The Time Traveler's Wife, which opens here on 14 August. I can't see that being a successful film.