Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
20-02-2009, 11:39 PM   #1

Tucker learns to open the bathroom door

Thought you might like this as I just posted on Angie's 'cat dreams' thread about Tuckers latest stunt I thought you might like to hear the full story.

First you need to know that the bathroom here is right directly at the top of the staircase and the stairs/hall/landing is cat territory really. Now at the top of the stairs adjacent to the bathroom door and conveniently level with the door handle is a window which looks out to the side of the house.

Now last fortnight I went away for the day to see a pal in Glasgow and I had my sister over animal sitting for the day for a bit of pocket money. I asked her not to let the cats in the living room that day so they just had the stairs/hall/landing and my bedroom and apparently this was not enough for Tucker.

I have a plant in the bathroom in a big pot so the cats are not allowed in there as they walk in the pot and make composty footprints all over the bath and sink e.t.c. They also get things out of the bin and drink out of the loo so no, they are barred and I told my sister to make sure and keep the door closed. Fine.

When I get home the cats had so obviously been in the bathroom so the next day I asked my sister and she said they must be opening the door as she had cleaned up the mess 3 times and shut the door only to find it open again. Now 16 year old babysitter makes a mistake I thought, yeah yeah ok Rebecca, opening the door? Of course they did...

The next day I was sat on the loo, as you do and I hear on the handle a tapping, and then again, and then the door pushes open! Tucker is sat on the windowsill tapping at the door handle, pushes it with his head and peeps round the door! Then of course the whole bunch run in like a jackpot has been scored!

I have had to resort to locking it from the outside which is a pain in the arris having to open it every time you need to go to the bathroom but my dad is going to swich the handle at some point (men ) so you have to lift up to open rather than pull down as he has done on the kitchen/living room handle so the dogs can't open it! (To be fair though I did purposely teach the dogs it, why I don't know now, seemed a good trick at the time!)

So I had to eat my hat and apologise to my sister, she was right!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-02-2009, 11:52 PM   #2

Re: Tucker learns to open the bathroom door

Tucker alias Artful Dodger! It's not usual to take a camera into the loo with you, but before you get your dad to change the handle, it would be wonderful if you could get a photo of the cleverness of Tucker!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
21-02-2009, 12:19 AM   #3

Cats are very clever Random, especially if they want in somewhere, clever boy..
My previous Siamese used to swing on the door handles and let himself in rooms..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
21-02-2009, 12:58 AM   #4

I will see what I can do! Would be good to catch it on video though, I may have to go and lie in wait like David Attenborough. Watch this space!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-02-2009, 03:18 AM   #5

That Tucker is one smart boy! We have some rather brilliant cats here: Darcy opening cupboards, Leia opening biscuit tins....

Do try to get a pic of that!!