Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
20-02-2009, 11:12 PM   #21

Re: Times to scruff a cat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by farthing
Wheew, I'm glad most of you seem happy with how I dealt with it. You have to be so careful nowadays. I do always ask people if they mind if I scruff their cat, and it is usually at the vets request. Unfortunately, many people can't handle their animal, which does in fact causes more stress to it than strong, confident, controlled handling.
Anyway, he had a bitten leg and she went off home with a new basket, and, thankfully he went home safely with her.
I can't imagine what people thought as I ran from one garden to the next, trying to stop him going on to the road again, in a skirt.
Its just a well you were there, goodness know where he would have ended up...
The same thing happened to me, Leo's box came udone in the vets car park, luckily he just sat on the ground looking a bit dazed!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
20-02-2009, 11:16 PM   #22

Just as a side note but it never ceases to amaze me the baskets some people use to bring their cats into the practice The number of times I've been told to 'watch the bottom, a lot of the catches are broken' or had to untie various bits of string and twine used to hold them together. Thankfully we haven't had any escapees although some have tried to make a break for freedom, I'm sure it'll happen one day.
Why can't people replace their baskets?!
Sorry, I'll stop ranting! And well done Farthing for catching the poor cat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-02-2009, 11:17 PM   #23

Sorry, farthing - I guess it was you in the skirt and not the cat!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
20-02-2009, 11:20 PM   #24

I too think it was the ONLY safe way to hold a cat in that situation.

When I go to collect cats, if they are outside I will often scruff them as I gently pop them in my basket, it's not cruel & it's for 2 reasons ;1) for my safety - so I don't get scratched or bitten & I'm in control of the situation & 2) so that poor scared puss can't wriggle out of my arms & do a runner. I see people cringe sometimes as I do it, but I don't care, these are often Moms nursing newborn babies & I can't afford for them to bolt.

Then obviously once they are in a safe area in my pen, we usually get along fine & I don't then need to scruff them again, but in certain environments/situations it's in the best interests of all concerned.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
20-02-2009, 11:22 PM   #25

angieh, it was me in the skirt, the cat was a boy!

pinklizzy, I know what you mean, we still get people coming in carrying their cat/ rabbit/ guinea pig in their arms, never thinking there will also be dogs in the waiting room. I couldn't be that careless with my animals safety.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-02-2009, 11:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklizzy
Just as a side note but it never ceases to amaze me the baskets some people use to bring their cats into the practice The number of times I've been told to 'watch the bottom, a lot of the catches are broken' or had to untie various bits of string and twine used to hold them together. Thankfully we haven't had any escapees although some have tried to make a break for freedom, I'm sure it'll happen one day.
Why can't people replace their baskets?!
Sorry, I'll stop ranting! And well done Farthing for catching the poor cat.
That takes me back PL! When I got my first cat as an adult, I didn't have a proper carrier, so took him on his first vet visit in an old wicker picnic hamper. He was OK going, but coming back he was getting angrier and angrier at being confined, starting ripping the wicker and by the time we got home he had torn a hole large enough for his head to emerge! I went to the pet store that weekend and promptly bought a proper carrier!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
20-02-2009, 11:25 PM   #27

talking about stupid people with useless carriers.... that reminds me to get one of our traps back off a local vet who borrowed it months ago to try & trap an escapee client Must write that on my to-do list

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Havana brown, Bengal
20-02-2009, 11:34 PM   #28

Having read this and inwardly digested it I think that may be how I get Koko to the Vet.

I have a proper wire basket.

He/she will have to take her unwillingness into consideration.

Can you tell I am stressing about getting her spayed?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
20-02-2009, 11:50 PM   #29

My vets have always commented on my shuttle like contraption of a cat carrier...

It's super, opens at the top for easy cat stuffing!

Never seen anyone at our vet bring a cat or small animal in their arms mind!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
20-02-2009, 11:54 PM   #30

I'm sure she would rather you did this to her cat than risk it get knocked over.