Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-02-2009, 11:00 PM   #21

Re: Leia's Story

... and really, no wonder she is picky with her food otherwise. She's full up on those dry biscuits and knows how to get more if she feels peckish!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
10-02-2009, 11:14 PM   #22

Actually, I'm rather proud of how clever she is, although I probably shouldn't be. She doesn't do it on a regular basis, just a few times when she feels peckish in the wee small hours. I sort of condensed the story for the dramatic effect, although it was last night that she got the lid off. I'm afraid too much dry food will cause a recurrence of cystitis .... never want to go thru that again!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
11-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #23

I am stitches reading that, I know mum is very annoyed, but what a clever girl! And as a bit of a coincidence, Darcy's new place to sit is on top of the fridge; perhaps they are communicating somehow?!

The moment they discover a new trick they'll do it as often as possible, even if they're not hungry. I was worried Darcy would be ill after eating almost a whole bag of treats, and I completely understand about the worry of dry food for Leia's cystisis, but you can't help but laugh and then cry at their cleverness!

If I come home and find Darcy's pushed all the cereal boxes off the top of the fridge we'll know they're really up to something!

Almost a Veteran Member

11-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #24

Talking of crafty cats and not knowing how they do it, my childhood cat once managed to open the fridge door and pull out a whole plate of turkey

It had a handle but it did have the magnetic strips that pull it shut, he had nothing to lean on as it wasn't near a work surface, and till this day we really can't work out how he did it.

Also, my theory of Leia opening the lid is using her shout, not her paws. Once Darcy tried to push me up out of bed by pushing me shoulder up with his snout and it was really surprisingly strong.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
11-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #25

Brilliant She is a genius.

Catsey Veteran

11-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #26

Can you imagine if Darcy and Leia weren't fixed, what brilliant and devilish kittens they'd have?!! Meep, suspect you're right about the snout. The tin was still in the larder this morning. Leia is probably thinking, thinking, thinking ....

Almost a Veteran Member

11-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #27

One thing I know for sure, they'd be devillishly handsome and strikingly beautiful

Darcy was trying to open the cupboard door this mornign whilst I was standing in front of it (he was between me and it) making breakfast. He knew perfectly well he was doing something wrong as when I moved he looked up quickly with soulful eyes as if to say "I wasn't doing anything!" The cheek of that wee chappy!

It sounds like Leia would fare well with some of those activities mentioned for active, intelligent cats. I've been thinking of puzzles I could put together for Darcy. I managed to train him to run from a series of locations in consecutive order by placing treats on them. So from top of scratching post to lightswitch above radiator to intercome phone in hall, he'd run ahead of me knowing where I was going to put the next treat. Basic but he likes it!

Catsey Veteran

11-02-2009, 05:28 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep
One thing I know for sure, they'd be devillishly handsome and strikingly beautiful

Darcy was trying to open the cupboard door this mornign whilst I was standing in front of it (he was between me and it) making breakfast. He knew perfectly well he was doing something wrong as when I moved he looked up quickly with soulful eyes as if to say "I wasn't doing anything!" The cheek of that wee chappy!

It sounds like Leia would fare well with some of those activities mentioned for active, intelligent cats. I've been thinking of puzzles I could put together for Darcy. I managed to train him to run from a series of locations in consecutive order by placing treats on them. So from top of scratching post to lightswitch above radiator to intercome phone in hall, he'd run ahead of me knowing where I was going to put the next treat. Basic but he likes it!
Intelligent, yes, active, NO! Dear Leia is a couch potato!

I'm really impressed at how bright Darcy is ; what a good thing he doesn't have opposable thumbs....the mind boggles..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-02-2009, 05:35 PM   #29

I've been keen to read the next instalment of this thread and just Googled IQ tests for cats - there are loads of different sites - this is just an example, although I must say that I think this test is more about whether your cat likes to jump, so Darcy would probably pass with flying colours, but I am less optimistic about Leia!!!

http://sandtracker.tripod.com/cat-iq.html

Almost a Veteran Member

11-02-2009, 05:40 PM   #30

I must check that out when I get home tonight! We were actually given a fun book for Christmas about determining your cats IQ but I flicked through it and it didnt factor in things like opening cupboards after opening doors. More like "do they sit in their foodbowl?"

Darcy loves jumping and if you dangle string for him he won't jump for hte bottom of the string but your hand that's holding it! So probably over 3 1/2 feet (I hold it at shoulder height and am 5'4).

I do think Stravinsky is equally as intelligent but, like Leia, enjoys lying down too much!