Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Small black cat.
tinnedhaggis is Male
11-06-2009, 10:32 PM   #1

Hello

Hello.
I have come on here because i need some advice / help.
A year ago my wife left me and left me with her cat. She was supposed to be taking him with her but didnt. Now a year later she has decided that she doesnt want him at all anymore. I have looked after him for the last year and dont have a problem with him. Unfortunately i am moving and he cant come with me so i need to find him a new home. Cats protection league wont have him because he was never neutered and might have FIV???? and so i dont know what to do. I would do anything not to have him put down.

He is about 13 years old likes to spend most of his time outside normally only coming home to feed and sleep but he is just as happy sleeping in a shed etc. He truly is an outside cat.

Any ideas? suggestion?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
12-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #2

Re: Hello

Firstly, I would invest the few quid needed in getting him neutered . . . better late than never. This way, even if he has got FIV, he will be less likely to roam and fight and therefore pass it on AND less likely to father endless (usually unwanted) kittens. The vet can also check him for FIV at the same time.

What about approaching any farms, stables etc that might be in your locale to see if they need a barn cat? If he's happy living in a shed our outbuilding and doing his own thing then maybe this kind of life will be best for him? The new owners will of course need to offer food, water, shelter and vetcare when required, but essentially your cat will be his own master.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #3

I would say that Yola's suggestions above would be your very best solution. I would definitely get him neutered and FIV checked first. Good luck with finding him a home.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
12-06-2009, 01:40 PM   #4

Hello haggis (!)
I agree with the other replies. Get the old boy neutered so he doesn't want to fight or, well, you know, any more and try to find him a billet at a farm/stables/warehouse/workshop. I presume he could earn his food by mousing?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-06-2009, 04:42 PM   #5

You could contact CP for a neutering voucher. Agree completely with the excellent advice above. Good luck!