Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Ginger/White, Black/White, Tabby
Rob B is Male
08-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #1

This Is Dedication ...

We have a bit of a feral/stray cat problem around us. There are several around at the moment, two of which, a mother and kitten we have managed to trap and get neutered.

I'm writing this in praise of the elderly couple who co-ordinate a trap/neuter/release program locally, although they'll never read it. They have a selection of traps which they make freely available and even have some recovery/holding cages in their garden. Our local vets accept vouchers from CPL which cover a proportion of the costs but the rest is born by the couple.

These people are not particularly well off I imagine, and do it purely for the love of cats. Heaven knows how many more unwanted cats would be around if it wasn't for their efforts. We have donated some money to help with their expenses, I prefer to do that rather than donating to large organisations where much of the money would no doubt go in 'admin' costs.

Thank heavens for people like this.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #2

Re: This Is Dedication ...

What a wonderful story Rob B - and I think you are doing the right thing donating some money direct. I am afraid that I too have doubts about what happens to charity donations to large organisations.

I suspect this lovely couple would be embarrassed with praise but hopefully the cats give them the thanks due.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
08-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #3

Thank God for people like you and the couple. I too dislike giving money to large charities. We have recently taken cat food, cat litter, old towels and blankets to our local shelter. We have also given stuff to their charity shop and OH has put a couple of shifts in there.

There is a lady near us who traps and neuters ferals with the help of CP who pay for the neutering. We got Barnaby through her. She goes every night to feed them but people now know about this and dump their unwanted cats there! Great eh!. She has a basket at the Toby Carvery where people can leave food.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Ginger/White, Black/White, Tabby
Rob B is Male
08-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #4

Isn't it strange how things can jog your memory, writing the above did just that. I remember many years ago seeing a documentary on an ex-girlfriend of Jeff Beck, my favourite guitarist but that's beside the point. I couldn't even remember her name but good old Google, I searched for "Jeff Beck girlfriend cats" and found this article. Thought you might like to read it ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tray-cats.html

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
08-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #5

I know about Celia Hammond, she's a great person. Great article.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
09-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #6

I didn't realise Celia Hammond was well known (apart from the cat charity of course). Every day is a school day

Rob, the elderly couple you speak of are amazing. Perhaps if you local press runs some kind of community awards (ours does an annual Pride of Reading award), you could nominate them? Some kind of recognition would be wonderful and they could get the thanks they obviously deserve.

Catsey Veteran

09-10-2014, 12:55 PM   #7

I have heard of Celia Hammond too with regard to cat/animal rescue. Didn't know she'd been Jeff Beck's girlfriend! Saw him play at Reading Uni many years ago - great guitarist.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: not sure
09-10-2014, 08:59 PM   #8

The world has a way in balancing the bad, even though it would be better if there was more good to outweigh the bad. When people do things out of the kindness of their heart, it gives some hope for those poor dumped souls.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
10-10-2014, 12:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I have heard of Celia Hammond too with regard to cat/animal rescue. Didn't know she'd been Jeff Beck's girlfriend! Saw him play at Reading Uni many years ago - great guitarist.
I think my OH might have been at that gig ...

Catsey Veteran

10-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
I think my OH might have been at that gig ...
Think it was 1972