Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Fondly Remembered

Cats owned: Black/Tortie/Tabby/B&W
Phil is Male
10-12-2014, 10:50 AM   #61

Re: I've lost my little Casper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
Casper himself might be feeling nervous, stressed and out of his depth which could explain the rather random behaviour. Perhaps he is trying to re-establish a pattern for himself and re-familiarise himself with your house?

Is that a little flash of white fur under his throat both on the picture and on the cat himself? That and the ear bumps would lead me to think he's the same fella.
Yes - the markings are spot on as are the ear bumps. He's even sleeping in the right place this morning.

He's been out on a collar a lead (the indignity) this morning just to be on the safe side.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-12-2014, 10:57 AM   #62

Fingers crossed for the vet visit Phil - I hope he's given a thorough check. I wonder what's happened to him that's shaken his personality up so, I hope the vet can shed some light.

Fondly Remembered

Phil is Male
10-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Fingers crossed for the vet visit Phil - I hope he's given a thorough check. I wonder what's happened to him that's shaken his personality up so, I hope the vet can shed some light.
I'll let you know.

Apart from wanting to go outside (something he'd always do if the flap was shut) he's a pretty normal Casper this morning. Much more settled.

I'll put off the vet today. He's had enough disruption and I think (given he's chilled) it would be best to give him more settling back in time.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
10-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #64

When Inky returned from 'going over the wall' he stayed upstairs for days. He took a while before he wanted to go outside and even then came straight back in when shouted. I hope Casper soon gets back to normal and stays close to home.

Fondly Remembered

Phil is Male
11-12-2014, 12:04 AM   #65

Well he's far more relaxed now. No tail twitching and he's certainly the same old Casper again.

I still feel as though he'd run off given the chance but he's happy eating, sleeping and cuddling with Paddy.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #66

Fingers crossed he'll settle down with his real family given time Phil. I'm glad that you seem now to be sure he is actually Casper.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: American shorthairs
11-12-2014, 11:05 AM   #67

When my Lucky came back from his 'adventure' he was a changed man cat too. He has been back a couple of months now and still has something I call flash backs. it is just a few minutes of terror. He jumps and runs full speed then settles back into the crowd of cats. It takes time. He still glares at me as I talk about his "lostness" and how he had to get himself out of it for I couldn't find him.
Jill

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
11-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #68

Firstly, I'm glad to hear that Casper has returned , although it's fascinating that his personality has changed, maybe he's 'grown' as a cat and become more worldly-wise.
I wish they could talk and tell us why they do a runner like they do sometimes, the primeval urges are still strong I guess.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
12-12-2014, 10:31 AM   #69

Good news pleased for you

Fondly Remembered

Phil is Male
15-12-2014, 02:19 AM   #70

Thanks folks

Just wanted to give you all an update as it's been a fun few days.

He's been kept in the house for the last 5 days during which time he's become a real favourite with the little ones as they're not really used to having him cuddling on the sofa etc.

Paddy (bless him) has been let in and out when he's needed to but even he has become more cuddly due to the restriction.

Litter tray has been fun - I've been having to help Casper (or at least lead him to it) on that front as it's not something he's used since being a kitten. Even the Paddy had a poo in it which he seemed to think was great fun.

Anyway.

Casper has now been microchipped (last Thursday) so that's good.

With the Christmas tree going up this morning I decided the time was right to bite the bullet, open the cat flap and see what happened.

Casper went out, hung about for a while and came back in. I fed him half a pouch and let him go again. He hung about all afternoon - in, out, in, out, a bit more food outside the flap, in, out and I was pleased.

By around 2:00pm he was nowhere to be seen so I've been on edge but at 10:00pm I went through to the kitchen and there he was asleep in his bed.

Really pleased how the 'release' has gone not to mention the bond that seems to have developed between Casper / dogs / kids during the enforced home time.

01:30 now - Casper is curled in his box by the radiator purring contently.

Paddy on the other hand (17 years young I might add) is playing with the Christmas tree !!!