Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Sadly Missed

Cats owned: Moggie
18-03-2006, 09:03 PM   #41

Re: help with seeds?

Ooops - sorry, missed out a couple opf pages of replies and now realise you had had all the information already.Logoes

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
18-03-2006, 09:04 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by logoes
Ooops - sorry, missed out a couple opf pages of replies and now realise you had had all the information already.Logoes
No worries - its good to get lots of advice!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-03-2006, 10:11 PM   #43

CJ, the marigolds & cornflowers should do very well; germinate easily & grow like weeds; don't know nigella so looked it up in the Thompson & Morgan catalogue, & germination is 14-30 days; says "easy". I've never grown catnip from seed, started years ago with a pot from the garden center; as I said it reseeds like mad outside, so sure it would be easy to do indoors. I to use Google for everything...wonder how we ever got along without it!!Patio roses sound lovely...go for them!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
19-03-2006, 09:18 AM   #44

when i get around to it am gonna gather together all my pots, and re-fill with fresh compost put some patio roses in some, and find something nice for the others.
NO sign to the cat grass yet! lol.
I have no idea how i managed withough google lol.

IN one pot i kinda got this ivy looking plant. my hubby swears it's an indoor plant but it's been in the pot since last srping and is still alive, it looks nice, trails over the edge of the pot.

It was nice last year as i had all pink and red begonia's (brought as plants though lol)

if i grow plants and we move house can i tale them with me? ie dig em up?
Just thinking we got no idea when we're going to move.
mind you for 19p a a packet for the seeds i dont know if it's worth moving them all.

getting the garden fence fixed this week, slumlords finally doing it,been fallen over for 6 months. theyre also fixing a stuck window after 2 years and a broken back door lock, thats been four years waiting! (i cant lock the back door from the outside, somebody tried breaking in with a screwdriver or seomthing and bent the lock)

anyway, back to plants.
the nigella are called persian jewels also. Never seen them before, but they were cheap in netto so thoguht why not lol

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
19-03-2006, 10:38 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK
if i grow plants and we move house can i tale them with me? ie dig em up?
Yes you can Cj as long as you fill in what you are taking/leaving correctly on the questionnaire you will recieve from the solicitors - but that is in buying/selling.

If you renting I am not sure but dont see any reason why you cannot take what is yours.

Catsey Veteran

19-03-2006, 11:21 AM   #46

no i meant more from the side of will digging em upand moving em kill em. ******ed if i am leaving anything behind. we didnt even have sink plugs or light fittins when we moved in here, and the garden was a mass of those trailing weeds that spread in little strings for miles and wrap themselves around everything. It was so high that until we had pulled half of it up we didnt know there was a garden fork buried under it, the fork was standing upright stuck int he mud! it was that bad!!!all the garden was cement or shingle. mind you it dontlook much better now thanks to hubby churning it all up and never finishing the job

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
19-03-2006, 01:39 PM   #47

If you think/know you will be moving shortly (say 15 months or so) I'd suggest putting anything new in the ground in a pot. Does that make sense? If it's happy in the pot you buy it in, leave it and bury the lot. If it needs taking out then put it in an oversized pot and again, put the lot in the garden.
Some plants are very good about being uprooted and replanted but a lot are temperamental and would rather not. If they're in the pot you can enjoy them this year and pick them up and plant them properly when you're in your permanent home.

Catsey Veteran

19-03-2006, 01:43 PM   #48

hmm, like i say though for 19p a bag of seeds it might not be worhth bothering wwith them, but as the patio roses are going into large pots anyway thast;s fine

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
19-03-2006, 10:14 PM   #49

CJ, had an idea...why don't you go online to Thompson & Morgan & order their catalogue...it's free here in the States so asssume it would be there also. It's chock full of info: germination time, whether plant is annual or perennial, for sun, semi-sun or shade, how deep to sow, whether it's a good cut flower and oodles of more stuff, plus the illustrations...it is really a reference work. Think you might enjoy having it to refer to!!

Catsey Veteran

20-03-2006, 10:44 AM   #50

hmm good idea, thanks, i'll take a lookey see