Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
15-03-2006, 12:47 PM   #41

Re: Currys - blackened onions??

OK - I'll add a commendation for the blackened onions. They added colour and a 'richness' to the sauce, with no discernable onion flavour.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
15-03-2006, 01:05 PM   #42

DM glad you liked them

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
16-03-2006, 03:57 AM   #43

Oh, Emma. I just TODAY saw your post of the 7th kindly offering to send me some curry paste, you must have thought I was SO rude not to have replied! I wouldn't want to put you to all that trouble, but thank you so much for the offer. I've been researching curry paste tonight on Google, & am confused at so many varieties: red, green, Thai, sour...one of the sites said green is hotter...I love very spicy...think that's what I would like. One of the brands listed here is Patek's...have you ever heard of it? I might just go ahead and order one at random & see what I think, they're not very expensive. And have been interested that the blackened onions tend to thicken & intensify the flavor...my recipe for shrimp curry used a bit of flour for thickening; think I migt try the onions...over the years I've gotten very good at cutting down a recipe to a single serving; have cooked for one since my Dad died in '64! Again, thsnks, Eileen

Catsey Veteran

16-03-2006, 08:51 AM   #44

Hi Eileen,

No I didn't think that you were rude Yes I use the Pataks range which is very good.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
16-03-2006, 11:16 AM   #45

Patek's is one of the best - very authentic and it's actually an Indian company so bound to be good

I did blackened onions in my curry again last night (was a bit braver this time and actually made them VERY dark), and both hubby and I thought it was one of the best home-made curries ever! I let him into the secret and got a very blank look in return. Bless

Catsey Veteran

16-03-2006, 11:40 AM   #46

Good to hear you liked them as well Yola, you cannot really taste them can you? I was very doubtfull when I first tried them but now I won't be making currys any other way

Catsey Veteran

16-03-2006, 10:13 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
Patek's is one of the best - very authentic and it's actually an Indian company so bound to be good

I did blackened onions in my curry again last night (was a bit braver this time and actually made them VERY dark), and both hubby and I thought it was one of the best home-made curries ever! I let him into the secret and got a very blank look in return. Bless
Thanks, Yola; do you use the green or the red? I want the hottest...

Catsey Veteran

16-03-2006, 10:17 PM   #48

Dandysmom, this site might help you decide which one you would like

http://www.pataks.co.uk/

Catsey Veteran

17-03-2006, 04:15 AM   #49

Thanks, Emma, that was an interesting link!! Am still shopping around on Google, but definitely think it will be Patek's

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: bengal
27-03-2006, 08:47 AM   #50

My sweet potato and chickpea curry worked well with the blackened onions and i will add them again. Thanks for the tip.

I'm making a king prawn chinese curry tonight, do you think the blackened onions would work with that?