Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
28-03-2006, 08:16 PM   #11

Re: Spelt

Hope I can use my newness to excuse digging up an old thread...

I use spelt in one of my favourite sponge-cakes. It's fluffy and cinnamony, great for bribing neighbours, and was a sucess at the cake-Wednesday.

Cinnamon Coffeecake
75 g butter
240 ml muscovado sugar
2 Large eggs
125 ml milk
375 ml spelt
1 tsp baking-powder
1 Tbsp cinnamon.
Melt butter and mix with sugar, some lumps are not a problem. Beat in the eggs one at a time until "fluffy" - will split and look a mess. Stir in milk - will look dog's-dinner ugly. Blend and mix in the dry ingredients (just to combine) - finally looks like a good cake batter. pour into muffins-tin, 20x20 (approx.) cm one-use aluminium roasting-tin, or round cake-tin. Basically anything that will hold it and survive the oven. Bake at 175 C for cake, 225 degrees for muffins. 30-35 minutes for the cake, 15-20 for the muffins. Freezes very well. Serve as is (my favourite), split and add filling (Nutella?) or add icing of some sort.
It's not a diet cake, but you might be able to experiment with sugar-replacements or honey.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
29-03-2006, 02:18 PM   #12

Sounds yummy.
Not a great cake-maker but I'm good at eating 'em!
Will remember that recipe is here though, if I get inspired

PS - I think it's good if older threads come up again - the board is growing and it's always nice to get new perspectives etc.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
29-03-2006, 03:45 PM   #13

We'd get on famously if you lived closer. I love baking cakes, but we're all rubbish at eating them here. : /