Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
18-12-2008, 10:27 AM   #21

Re: Book Club: The Time Traveler's Wife

I've got a few chapters to go (sorry everyone!) but please do start, I remember the ending ( ) and have found some beautiful passages that I'd love to discuss whenever, so please take it away

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-12-2008, 12:00 PM   #22

I'm nowhere near finished, but do have the benefit of reading it before and can remember most of it - as it's the sort of book that does stay - which, IMO, is a sign of a good book!

Can I start with saying I found the premise of the ability to time travel being genetic instead of having to use a machine just downright amazing. What an idea, and I bet that it influenced Tim Kring with "Heroes", although he didn't include the really scary bit about not knowing when or where you're going to go and arriving naked - that's the stuff of nightmares surely?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
18-12-2008, 12:27 PM   #23

Re: Time Travel
Isn't it amazing how simply one accepts Henry's (dis)ability? We are basically reading a Science Fiction book, yet ..... it doesn't feel like SF does it? I enjoyed it so much first time I read it I was anxious for my husband to read it too, so I could discuss it with him. So I told him it was SF (which he loves - good SF for normal, the biggest fattest rubbishest SF for whiling away the time on holiday). When he'd finished I asked him if he'd enjoyed it and if he thought it was SF - his reply? Enjoyed it very much - but it's a love story. Got it in one there, I think.
The time travel is an extreme devise, to facilitate the book, it is a pretty difficult concept and we ought to be much more sceptical of it and spend the book going "Yes, but, if x = y then surely abc?" etc but we don't - we accept it happily. Maybe we can discuss the 'what ifs' and the holes in the story later - it's much too early to start picking holes.

Catsey Veteran

18-12-2008, 12:40 PM   #24

Not sure that I agree that time travel is "an extreme devise" - agree it is a love story. I love the juxtaposition of the two.

Catsey Veteran

18-12-2008, 01:05 PM   #25

Perhaps 'hugely original' would be better words Angie?
There are plenty of time travelling books of various standards but all sticking to sci-fi or adventure. Using it to facilitate a love story is so clever.

Catsey Veteran

18-12-2008, 01:23 PM   #26

Did you also find an element of horror? eg. Clare's poor babies and Henry's feet .........

Catsey Veteran

18-12-2008, 01:35 PM   #27

Extreme horror with the babies .... Clare's dream, with the white silk on the floor and the creeping red.
And poor Henry's feet!

Almost a Veteran Member

18-12-2008, 01:39 PM   #28

Ah no! I knew I should have stayed away from the thread until I'd finished I remember all of hte ending APART from the bit with Henry's feet! And the next chapter I'm about to read is entitled 'The Incident in the Parking lot' or something (the second time round) and now I remember it all! Yes, I definately agree, real horror there. IMO, the only part that made me slightly akward about the book first time round reading it was Henry's feet. I felt that was one step too far, when we already know he has seen his own death, which is in itself horrific.

The part with Claire's babies really is nightmarish, it's described in such a way that makes it seem like a dream (or nightmare); really different to the rest of the book.

But one of my favourite sections is when Claire is drawing Alba, the description is simply beautiful. So it seems the section on babies produces some of the most horrific, and most beautiful, language and description. I love the sentence "I consider my daughter", right before she begins sketching her. I don't have the book on me, but once I do get down to my proper analysis of it, I will be quoting lots of wonderful bits!

But don't worry Angie, I was just about to come to the bit with Henry's feet, I just can't believe I COMPLETELY forgot about it in my re-reading. I remember everything else; the way Henry dies, Claire's meeting with Gomez afterwards, Claire's final, final meeting with Henry. How could I forget the feet??? I'm assuming because I didn't enjoy that part the first time round, I blanked it from my memory! I do still think that it was on step too far... (pardon the pun!)

Almost a Veteran Member

18-12-2008, 01:40 PM   #29

Oh and how beautiful is the phrase, used as a volume header "a drop of blood in a bowl of milk"? I puzzled and puzzled over that until I found it in the text, and it's used to describe Claire blushing; quite an innocent and purely beautiful action, yet a slightly morose and creepy phrase to use. I think that phrase, whilst used in the text to describe Claire blushing, relates to the miscarriages and all the blood lost throughout. Claire is literally surrounded by blood, which is nicely contrasted by the one 'drop'.

Almost a Veteran Member

18-12-2008, 01:47 PM   #30

I just google searched and found info on the film. The cast have been chosen, and it is currently being filmed. There are screen shots! :

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3010173184/tt0452694

Whilst I'm happy with the casting of Henry (he's neutral enough) Claire is supposed to have RED HAIR! In the book it explicitly says this is one thing Henry loves about Claire, and there are often descriptions of it 'fanned out on a pillow' or he'll play with it, and a whole passage describing how it is heavy when wet but she won't cut it off because Henry loves it. I feel they should have got this detail accurate, as whilst it sounds petty, throughout the book we are constantly reminded of Claire's beautiful red hair.