Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: black and white
20-11-2008, 10:48 AM   #31

Re: Book Club: Notes on an Exhibition

morning all,

Well in all good book club's and reviews there as to be negative's it wouldn't do for us all to like the same thing i think the main gripe is the style of writing and how the characters lack substance but yet in ceratin chapters gale has used a different style and you feel as if you are there in the book but on the whole the book lacks substance which ends up leaving you with a negative feeling and dissapointment towards the book.

I think we just put it down to experience and at least it got us all talking about the issues the book raised regarding mental health and homosexuality which im sure was one of Gales aims when writing the book.

I will still be joining you which ever book we decide to read and have just started on The time travellers wife having read three chapters last night and fell asleep whilst reading i would say this one shows promise and im hooked already..

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
20-11-2008, 12:01 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
How can our opinions differ so much from those reviews? (I've just read a couple) I worry that I am missing something - or is it just that the reviewers got paid to say something nice? (I am just going to wash my mouth out with some very tasty soap!)
I was thinking th esame Angie! Not so much paid by the author directly, but the editor of the entire newspaper may have said "we want a nice review". As book reviews are so few and far between they generally only publish the nice ones and there aren't many scathing ones.

I don't think we missed anything, I just think the standard for modern literature as dropped drastically

Almost a Veteran Member

20-11-2008, 12:07 PM   #33

I agree, that there were small gems within the book but overall I felt too negatively toward it.

So, choosing the next book. Could I suggest The Time Traveller's Wife, as I have read it before (a while ago) and would highly recommend it, so hopefully at least a few of us will actually really enjoy the book this time! I think that came second on the poll we did...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-11-2008, 03:10 PM   #34

Yup - I'm sure The Time Traveller's Wife is next - what's our reading finishing date to aim for this time????

(Although I have read this one before and LOVED IT! Will be worth reading it again.)

Almost a Veteran Member

20-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #35

I'm the same Angie, I adored it. I was so sad when it had finished too. I read it on a holiday so read it really quickly as it was so addictive. I'll try and pace myself this time to draw the enjoyment out!

how does everyone feeling about Monday 8th December? Gives everyone a chance to buy the book this weekend and two weeks to read.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
20-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #36

Fine by me too - I also read it on holiday and will be pleased to return for a more leisurely re-read. I think I was also trying to finish it quickly to pass it over to my husband and say 'Do you like it? Where are you now? etc' - so a book club perusal will be an extra treat.

I may be wrong but I don't think there will be pleas for time extensions on this one - maybe the opposite, and requests to start early

Interesting what someone said earlier about how not liking a book doesn't mean you can't find interesting points to disuss. Hope the opposite is not true and we just sit around saying 'Isn't it good? Isn't it clever?'

I've flipped through 'Notes' again this morning, and re-read the cover notes and the commendations. Mmmm.

Almost a Veteran Member

20-11-2008, 03:46 PM   #37

Oh I'm sure I'll have lots to say on it DM! Although I must try and (symbolically) bite my tongue, as the English Lit student within me is still as eager as ever, and used to writing 4000 word essays! Even if we do all like it and make comments such as "Isn't it clever?" I think we'll have a lot to say too!

I actually don't own a copy, as I borrowed it from a friend on holiday. I'll buy it this weekend and start as soon as I get it. I'm currently reading Rebecca and nearly at the end of that, so perfect timing

If everyone does finish the book early then we can start discussions early! I'm just aware that some people are really busy and might not have time to dedicate to it. But I agree, it is addictive and so hard to put down...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-11-2008, 05:18 PM   #38

Our library system has TTW, just placed a Hold on it. I'm #2 in the queue, so should get it fairly soon. I'm a fast reader, shouldn't be a problem.

Almost a Veteran Member

20-11-2008, 05:22 PM   #39

Hopefully it should become available soon Eileen I do remember reading it fairly quickly as it was so addictive. But we can easily wait a wee while for anyone who's still to finish.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: black and white
20-11-2008, 07:19 PM   #40

I've started TTW last night and I'm really into it already, I wont say to much and give the pot away to anyone whse ot read it