Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

View Poll Results: Which two books would you prefer?
A Thousand Splendid Suns 0 0%
Exit Music 1 16.67%
The Ghost 0 0%
The Crimson Petal and the White 0 0%
The Memory Keeper's Daughter 1 16.67%
Notes From an Exhibition 3 50.00%
On Chesil Beach 1 16.67%
Blind Faith 0 0%
Half of a Yellow Sun 0 0%
Nowhere to Run 1 16.67%
Nineteen Minutes 1 16.67%
The Time Traveller's Wife 3 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
28-10-2008, 12:18 PM   #31

Re: Book group poll

Oh, also, one thing I always find fascinating when reading a fictional novel is the cultural background to the nove. I know I mentioned that above, but I love thinking about how the novel reveals any cultural norms in its story. I often do a bit of research around the culture it is set in, as it often gives a much deeper understanding of the novel and, for me, a greater enjoyment!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
28-10-2008, 12:18 PM   #32

That sounds good meep. Thank goodness for agile young minds
Nov 14 is fine by me but there may be slower readers. So, chirp up everyone - 14 Nov or later?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
28-10-2008, 12:25 PM   #33

Off topic
meep - have you read The Yacoubian Building by Alaa Al Aswany? I found it fascinating in terms of giving what seemed an authentic insight into life in Cairo. He's a dentist! - Amazing. If he is as good a dentist as he is an author, his patients must have glorious gnashers

Almost a Veteran Member

28-10-2008, 12:43 PM   #34

A few novels to consider from different time periods, that are know 'classics':

- Virginia Woolf: "To the Lighthouse" "Mrs. Dalloway"
- Edith Wharton: "The Age of Innocence"
- Aldous Huxley: "Brave New World"
- George Orwell: "1984"
- Toni Morrison: "Beloved"
- Jane Austen: "Emma" "Pride and Prejudice"
- Charlotte Bronte: "Jane Eyre
- Emily Bronte: "Wuthering Heights"

Almost a Veteran Member

28-10-2008, 12:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
Off topic
meep - have you read The Yacoubian Building by Alaa Al Aswany? I found it fascinating in terms of giving what seemed an authentic insight into life in Cairo. He's a dentist! - Amazing. If he is as good a dentist as he is an author, his patients must have glorious gnashers
I haven't actually but it sounds really interesting. Perhaps we could add it to the list Although I do often read two books at once so could maybe pick up a copy anyway when I head into town this weekend... Thanks for the rec

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
28-10-2008, 03:38 PM   #36

I've had notification from Waterstone's that my copy of "Notes ...." has been dispatched, so with any luck I should get it by 1st November. Whether 2 weeks is long enough - with me depends on whether I get "hooked" or not!

Thanks for the pointers meep - I do agree with your suggestion of reading books of a sort that you wouldn't normally choose. I used to find offers like 3 for the price of 2 really good for that - get two books you really want and the extra one go as far "off" as you like!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
28-10-2008, 04:27 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep
Chat Room / 1 thread sounds good, as DM has said.

It's been so long since I seriously analysed a book, although I'm sure we won't be tackling the books in the same I did during my Uni studies! I would suggest we all keep the following in mind whilst reading:

- themes that emerge
- symbolism that emerges
- questions the book or theme raises
- interesting characterisation
- the plot, and sub-plot
- if it's set in a different time period / country / culture, the way the book portrays this and any thoughts you've had from this.
- the author's tone, which could be interpreted as her attitude toward the theme.

Most importantly enjoy the book, and jot down any things you notice that you might want to discuss! I hope that list isn't too random, or daunting, or perhaps mediocre? It's just a good list of things to consider but we don't have to cover all, and I'm sure each book will present different things to discuss!

I'm more than happy to suggest books from different time periods too Depending on what everyone's tastes are, but I always think it's good to read a book occasionally that isn't in line with your normal tastes. You might find some you don't like, but you mind find some a nice surprise that you love!

So are we ok to begin on Saturday 1st November with Notes on an Exhibition, finishing on Friday 14th November?
I haven't had a shipping notice from Amazon yet, but sure it'll be here in time; Nov.1st to 14th is fine with me. Haven't heard from Az yet re the separate section ....

Almost a Veteran Member

28-10-2008, 04:36 PM   #38

We can hold off a bit longer from Nov 1st, no point starting if none of us have the book I'll head into town on the Sat to pick up the book. If people dont have it by the 1st we could extend the deadline?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
28-10-2008, 04:38 PM   #39

Fine ....... we just need to be sure everyone checks in to say "Yes, I'm ready to go" or "No - hang on a bit"!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
28-10-2008, 07:45 PM   #40

Yes, best wait until everyone has it.

I bought mine yesterday, so ready whenever everyone else is.