Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
04-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #1

Catsey Book Club?

Shall we start a (small, select) book club here and ask for it to be 'stickied' atop this section? There are enough who enjoy books to merit chatting about them and chances are that as we have been 'friends' on here for so long we may have similar tastes.

So, here's a few I read recently. very late I'm afraid, I think they were 'fashionable' last year or even 2006.

The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
Oh, such a charming and diferent book. A love story with a twist, and you can't help turning the page and wishing time to pass.

The Tenderness of Wolves - Stef Penney
A real star turn, and a first novel, set in the wilds of Canada in 1867 and it rings so true, even though the author has never visited the country. A love story/adventure/whodunnit with family tensions and suspense.

Suite Francaise - Irene Nemirovsky
France, immediately before and during WW2. Follows several families and characters, city folk and counrty folk. I think it has a nice French 'voice' despite being in translation but I have read others who say it feels stilted to them. There is no happy ending.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
04-10-2008, 07:31 PM   #2

Re: Catsey Book Club?

Excellent idea DM......any suggestions for the first book.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-10-2008, 08:04 PM   #3

I'm definitely enrolling in this! Can we have a Book Club section do you think?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
04-10-2008, 08:23 PM   #4

I think thats a great suggestion. I am not a big reader these days but for those who are, this would be good.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-10-2008, 09:01 PM   #5

Excellent idea. Has anyone read the new Faye Kellerman, Mercedes Coffin? Her mystery/suspense stories are all well written with appealing characters. I just got this at the library today, haven't started yet. Am just finishing Robin Cook's latest, Foreign Body. He's the doctor-turned-novelist who's written a gazillion, mostly with the basic idea af a spunky female character up against a conspiracy of some sort. Formulaic, but this one's set in India...some interesting details about New Delhi, customs, etc. Not great literature, but a good read .....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
04-10-2008, 10:07 PM   #6

I wish I had more time for books. We have bookshelves and cupboards full, but no time at the moment to read them So I shall read comments with interest but probably won't be able to contribute very much.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
04-10-2008, 11:14 PM   #7

I've discovered reading about a month ago.
I have never in my life since leaving school read books. (I read Alices diary & a few bits from Cat Confidential) but otherwise never read at all, just no time or interest in it, anyway I went to the library & stumbled across chubby Browns autobiography (not everyones cup of tea, I know.... but I've always been a fan of his) and I've nearly finished reading it, I have thoroughly enjoyed it & can't wait to get started on another book!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: black and white
05-10-2008, 10:13 AM   #8

Can I join in too, I love reading but with the move may not be as quick at reading as normal...

are we going to make suggestions then vote and the most popular wins.. or is that too complicated.

mel x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
05-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #9

W H Smith have an offer on shortly - if you shop there this week you'll get a voucher permitting a free chart paperback when you buy any other chart paperback. (Valid 13 - 24 October)
Sadly the site is down now, so I can't link to the list, but you would think that between us we can find 2 books in 100 that we will all enjoy? www.whsmith.co.uk/Books.aspx That is the link for future reference.
We could then decide which order we'll read them and comment on the first one between mid November and the end of the year and the second during January? That shouldn't rush anyone.

What do you think? (Sorry Dandysmom - library or full price for you )

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
05-10-2008, 04:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
W H Smith have an offer on shortly - if you shop there this week you'll get a voucher permitting a free chart paperback when you buy any other chart paperback. (Valid 13 - 24 October)
Sadly the site is down now, so I can't link to the list, but you would think that between us we can find 2 books in 100 that we will all enjoy? www.whsmith.co.uk/Books.aspx That is the link for future reference.
We could then decide which order we'll read them and comment on the first one between mid November and the end of the year and the second during January? That shouldn't rush anyone.

What do you think? (Sorry Dandysmom - library or full price for you )

No problem ....!