Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1x Sphynx, 2x DLH, 5x DSH
10-12-2009, 01:33 AM   #11

Re: Would you adopt from the RSPCA?

Ummmm.... I probably would but I would first go to smaller independant rescues and PDSA or CP..... It isn't the animals fault where they end up and by the very nature of independant rescues they have less funding and support & therefore can only take in a limited number of creatures! Also most people will always call the RSPCA 1st if they need to re-home an animal or find an injured creature...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
17-01-2010, 10:34 PM   #12

Difficult one that one!!!

On one hand, as has already been mentioned, it isn't the cat/kittens fault that they end up at the RSPCA but on the other hand I have major personal issues with the RSPCA. The main issue was when we got my son's puppy Jack Russell he had a docked tail, perfectly legal at that time. I bathed Pepsi when we got him home and a load of straw came off the end of his tail and you could see bare bone!!! I rushed him to the vets and they gave him anti-biotics and said they would have to see if it would grow over itself, luckily it did. The vet said that this docking had been done with in the last 2 weeks, hence approx 5 weeks of age, and that it had been cut off with a pair of scissors, there were 4 puppies in this litter. It made be feel sick to the stomach and I rang the RSPCA as soon as I got home to report this awful case of animal cruelty. I was met by this response " There is nothing we can do about that" and she put the phone down on me. Disgusting is the nicer word I can think off there is worse. The latest issue I have is a lot more recent, this year in fact. 70 Persian cats have been taken off a breeder in and she has since been banned for life from owning any cat. The RSPCA had it put in the local paers how they had saved this cats and got the owner/breeder prosecuted, which is fine, what they omitted to say is that they put 30 of the cats to sleep just because they had something wrong with them. What was the something wrong? You are probably thinking FIV as has already been mentioned but no it was nothing more than RINGWORM.

I think I would probably stay clear of the RSPCA and go to a smaller run charity. Just my opinion though.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
17-01-2010, 10:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay
The latest issue I have is a lot more recent, this year in fact. 70 Persian cats have been taken off a breeder in and she has since been banned for life from owning any cat. The RSPCA had it put in the local paers how they had saved this cats and got the owner/breeder prosecuted, which is fine, what they omitted to say is that they put 30 of the cats to sleep just because they had something wrong with them. What was the something wrong? You are probably thinking FIV as has already been mentioned but no it was nothing more than RINGWORM.
I agree, with the Persians, and I have commented on the above case several times. Fortunately out of that exact case, several charities have taken them on, where they will (once the ringworm has been cleared) be found loving homes. In fact the RSPCA have had the cats since last year, and at the time, our branch of the Cats Protection had room (as our isolation unit was empty) and our manager was quite happy to fill the isolation unit with the above. But yet the RSPCA initially refused our help which would have relieved them financially, both in the terms of the cost of ringworm (ringworm is a very lengthly treatment, we had more than one litter in our isolation unit for 9-10 months) and the cost of putting them to sleep. I believe that the majority of cats would still be alive today, if not all.

There has been cases (and this applies to dog charities too, so it is not a cat specific problem) where other charities have offered to take on the cost (and responsibility) of the animals concerned. But the RSPCA have refused and instead put the animal to sleep, sometimes not in the best manner, whereas other charities would keep the animal alive.

I think the best thing to do if anyone does not want their animals to go to the RSPCA when they are dead, is to make it a condition of their will that their cats go to the Cats Protection/Battersea/Blue Cross or other independent charity.

I actually had an RSPCA cat calendar for Christmas: I do not agree with the RSPCA, so it got binned. I bought another cat calendar instead, as I wont have anything with RSPCA logo in my house. I keep on getting letters from the RSPCA (addressed to me, not general ones addressed to "the householder") asking for £10 an month, so each time I just unopen them, write on the envelope "not known at this address, return to sender", and pop them in the envelope. Hopefully, they will get the message that in no circumstances that I will ever help them, either by adopting or giving financially.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
17-01-2010, 11:01 PM   #14

It's a pity something can't be done to force them to change, ie lobbying parliament, if so many people have so many issues. I must admit to not being very well informed but have heard rumours etc about them putting too many animals to sleep.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
17-01-2010, 11:09 PM   #15

I just feel that the RSPCA court media attention, so to speak, but don't actual do a great deal. I also know of times that a particular Persian charity, whom I know the owner, has been told that the RSPCA doesn't need or even want her help re-homing when she has a waiting list. The cats involved have them been with the RSPCA, one particular Persian was kept in a RSPCA managers garage, for a long time and then put to sleep. Ridiculous when there are homes waiting for them.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: selkirk rex, ragdoll
22-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #16

yes i have done in the past

Cats owned: Kitten
29-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #17

Oh I never realised the RSPCA wasn't all it's cracked up to be. A little research and wow I am really shocked.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggie
29-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #18

You have to remember that nobody gets on there high horse or stamps their feet when they do something right!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
30-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #19

It wouldn't matter to me where an animal came from, if it fitted our criteria and we had room for it, it would come. I have been to a few rescues, which leave a lot to be desired and have less than suitable accomodation, do not neuter or vaccinate or do not homecheck- I would still take an animal from them. Without any of these rescues- be they large of small, more animals would be PTS or suffering, than already are.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
30-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #20

Yes...although not having any choice really...Tinky, George and HRH have all come from there and HRH was the only one we had problems with