Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
04-11-2006, 03:24 PM   #11

Re: My chickens.....

Your poor daughter! I bet she feels so guilty. Hope she doesn't feel to sad for too long.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: tabby
04-11-2006, 04:26 PM   #12

What a damned shame!

I'd love to keep chickens, never entirely trust the so-called free range/grass eggs I buy, and they are never really fresh either.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
04-11-2006, 07:14 PM   #13

So sorry Smudgley. I love chickens, and fresh eggs, how lovely! Hope your daughter doesn't feel too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy
What a damned shame!

I'd love to keep chickens, never entirely trust the so-called free range/grass eggs I buy, and they are never really fresh either.
I have started to buy the organic free range eggs and they are much nicer!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-11-2006, 10:19 PM   #14

Thanks, Smudgley!! Reading this got that old ballad "The Fox is on the town-O" stuck in my head and has been playing on all afternoon!!! Of course that was the old grey goose that got carried off, but same thing! Seriously, sorry about the chickies!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: tabby
05-11-2006, 12:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim
So sorry Smudgley. I love chickens, and fresh eggs, how lovely! Hope your daughter doesn't feel too bad.

I have started to buy the organic free range eggs and they are much nicer!
Kim, this is what I mean. I've been doing a bit of investigating and the official EU organic label is allowed to producers of eggs from chickens that have been fed up to 20% non-organically! Then there's the 'free range' qualification, which again is misleading: most of the chickens are in sheds with an open door, which is blocked all the time by a few alpha females. Since they are over-crowded and loose in the sheds, it is mayhem, in some ways worse than the misery of battery hens.

Either you have to have personally seen where your eggs are coming from, or you have to keep chickens yourself. A terrible state of affairs.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
05-11-2006, 04:25 PM   #16

It's terrible that you feel you are doing some good by buying free range or organic and this isn't necessarily the case.

I try to buy from a local farm or people advertising free range eggs where you can see the chickens running around.