Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
17-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #1

Emerald Wednesday

Helllooooooooooo - is there anybody there?

I am busy with transcription today, but took a break for picking damsons and OH is going to make the jam this afternoon as we didn't manage to do it yesterday.

Quiz tonight peeps - I do hope that we have enough players!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
17-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #2

Re: Emerald Wednesday

Hi, Angie, where is everyone? A lovely day here, has warmed up finally, a bit after 10:30 am and it's 29 C (84 F), not a cloud in the sky, lower humidity and not much breeze. I just sat out in the sun for a half hour when I was picking Leia's grass. I'll be thinking of this in January when snow is predicted and it's only 4C! The sun is setting now at 8 pm ......

Looking forward to the quiz, Shelley's back and I'll be there; hope for more!

Hope all are well, whatever they're doing.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
17-08-2011, 04:36 PM   #3

Hi both...

I'm just back from work. We had a trip out today - plan was to go to St A's for lunch, then go bowling in Dundee. Except they say the bowling has now closed due to not making enough money, so after debating other options we went to the secret bunker... boy is it interesting!!! I could easily go again, on my own, take advantage of their tour on tape and actually take the time to read every word. I also loved a bit of writing they had in relation to holidays - essentially, no, you're not getting one, cause if you add up all the time you're off in a year you aren't actually working at all!!! It got me laughing.

Hope all goes well with everyone. Quiz, don't know... maybe some point, but my head not with me...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
17-08-2011, 05:06 PM   #4

Hello Angie, Eileen,Kate and all to follow.
Been to a funeral today. It was one of our neighbours, a very old man who has been ill in a nursing home for the last 3 years. I didn't know him although Howard did. We were invited by his son whom we are friends with.
Will be at the quiz tonight after yoga, i'm looking foward to it.
Kate what is the secret bunker ?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
17-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #5

http://www.secretbunker.co.uk/ (warning, once page opens you get 2 blasts of an air raid sounding alarm!!!)

it's based in Fife, fairly close to St Andrews Shelley. Essentially it's somewhere which was built in the 1960's to protect against nuclear attack during the cold war, and it functioned until the 1990's when it was decommissioned and eventually sold. It's now a museum and houses all kinds of equipment in relation to war - it's fascinating, and I'd love to go again... Info on first page of webpage says this:
Quote:
Scotland's best kept secret...... until now !!

Scotland’s best kept secret for over 40 years, Hidden beneath an innocent Scottish Farmhouse, a tunnel leads to

Scotland’s Secret Bunker. 24,000 square feet of Secret accommodation. The size of two football pitches, one on top of another, On two levels 100 feet underground.

Had there been a Nuclear War, this is where Scotland, would have been Governed, from within.

Discover the twilight world of the Government Cold War.
Take the opportunity to discover how they would have survived, and you wouldn’t !!!…

One of Scotland’s Deepest and Best kept Secrets.
So sorry to hear that you were at a funeral today though, that's always hard.

ETA - I found the thing which got me laughing online. Here's a link. http://www.4hb.com/0730soyouwantadayoff.html

Catsey Veteran

17-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #6

Kate,
thanks for the info re the secret bunker, will take a look tomorrow at the site as i'm off to yoga now.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
17-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #7

Hi folks, I'm free at last so will look in on the quiz in a minute

here's a quick resume of my day:

Swimming at 8am
Tom arrived at 9.10 off to Pets at Home to get Posh a covered litter tray and a few surprises for her.
Home for lunch.
Back into town for cash and meds from chemist
Home again.

Now during our travels out and about I spotted a terrier type dog wandering on the road looking lost and getting into trouble with traffic and other dog walkers, so I stopped the car on the second journey home and called him off the road and he came over. Very friendly and panting & distressed, I scooped him up and took him home for a bowl of water and to get him out of danger. He was a sweetie, a well covered ( fat!) doggie of a Heinz 57 variety, wiry black and tan coat
with white threaded through giving the appearance of old age but his teeth were in a very good state, no fleas or flea dirt seen, just a small warty red lump on his front leg about the size of a pea, not bothering him. Kept him out the back and away from her highness. Phoned the environment dept at the council and made our way to the animal shelter in the Rhondda,to have him scanned for a chip. Vet not open until 5pm , this was about 2pm. He was neutered so guessed he may be chipped, and HE WAS! ALAS, it was a dead end, the chip registered to Pontypool and no longer viable So we handed over our charge to the shelter who will keep him for 28 days, if not claimed then they will put him up for rehoming.

I just hope I have done right. I couldn't keep him with me, I have too much to do, and Posh comes first. I hope his owner will have the sense to phone the pound. I hope he has an owner! Tomorrow I'll phone the local vet and give details of my find. I didn't take a photo of him. Hope the sweet thing finds happiness soon. Have got the shelters number and will check on his progress.

Sorry for my long story. x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
17-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #8

Oh PP - so very good of you and you couldn't really have done anything else, but that little dog probably owes you his life. Wonder how he got to where you found him? I saw something on the Schnauzer forum the other day reminding owners to update their microchip information because if the information is incorrect, you cannot get your dog back; although I'm not sure that's completely correct.

Catsey Veteran

17-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #9

well done PP for rescuing the little dog.
i'm sure his owners will ring around if they want him back.
You could always put some found notices up in local shops

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
17-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #10

Evening everyone, I missed the quiz, again!
Angie-damson jam sounds lovely! I hated them as a child, we had a damson tree in the garden and we ate lots of damson crumble but I quite like them now.
Shelley-sorry to hear about your neighbour
PP-you definetely did the right thing, it's always so disappointing when the chip can't be traced but at least he's safe now, and away from the road!
Squirrel-the secret bunker looks really interesting.

Erin had her first accident today She is standing and trying to take a few wobbly steps but today she banged her forehead and nose on the tv stand so has two bruised eyes and a grazed nose. I think I cried more than she did though-bad mummy!