Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
03-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #11

Re: New to Catsey & need advice on my 1st ever pregnant cat

This happens a LOT on dogsey, I thought we'd be a bit different over here. There's no need to take an almost patronising tone with newbies, and please mods and co don't start with the "i can't see where the new member has been patronised" as usual, as tbf as usual it's plainly obvious!
As Elaine stated, it's an emotive subject. We all know the rescue problem, and without turning this into a MASSIVE debate as it's been done to death so don't use this as a starting que please, I just feel we should EDUCATE rather than talk down to. Or constantly recite how it's unconceiveable how someone wants their moy to have kittens etc, it just creates a real amount of bad feeling when so much more could be done to educate new members. And that's not saying "yes lets just have the attitude of well their here now, or arriving soon so it's done", it's merely pointing out that in many cases but specifically this, there are infact more than one way to skin a cat.
Welcome to catsey, I wish you all the best with the kittens.

Cats owned: 3 Domestic
03-08-2009, 07:52 PM   #12

Thank you to those who have helped so far and those of you who have been welcoming.

I can assure all those who are concerned that I am a huge animal lover and I really do care about the health and well-being of ALL animals. I did not and still do not intend to breed from my cats. Once Jessie has had her litter, and it is amicable to do so I will have her spayed. I am that concerned about her that is why I have come on to Catsey to get advice. I understand this is a public forum and what I talk about is everyone's business but that's no need to judge me and to try and tell me how I should look after my cats.

More advice is still very much welcome

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-08-2009, 07:55 PM   #13

Without getting embroiled, I do think you would do best to get her vet checked, as you say her bottom looks sore.

I hope that the birth goes well and that you can find good homes for the kittens. I myself am taking a kitten from a friend of a friend whose little girl escaped and got herself pregnant. I have been assured that the mother cat will be spayed ASAP and have to trust that is the case.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
03-08-2009, 08:04 PM   #14

Welcome to Catsey

Can't really add anything to what's already been said apart from welcoming you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
03-08-2009, 09:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessies mum
Thank you to those who have helped so far and those of you who have been welcoming.

I can assure all those who are concerned that I am a huge animal lover and I really do care about the health and well-being of ALL animals. I did not and still do not intend to breed from my cats. Once Jessie has had her litter, and it is amicable to do so I will have her spayed. I am that concerned about her that is why I have come on to Catsey to get advice. I understand this is a public forum and what I talk about is everyone's business but that's no need to judge me and to try and tell me how I should look after my cats.

More advice is still very much welcome
I didnt, I said that a vets advice should be sought and asked why you would want to contribute to an already huge problem. Your response was at first flippant that i thought you were perhaps a troll trying to instigate a scene. Your profile also stated that you wanted to be a breeder and that you owned moggies.

04-08-2009, 09:00 AM   #16

I understand the problem & totally comprehend it.

Sorry I made a few mistakes on my profile. I am new and its bound to happen. Perhaps I put this in the wrong area.

But you DID pounce on me and immediately assume that I was inflicting cruelty on animals and you should not assume that people who are new on here are "winding you up". perhaps a more welcoming approach would of answered the matter for you more easily.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
04-08-2009, 09:15 AM   #17

I did not pounce, I asked a question and pointed out the plight of rescue due to irresponsible breeding.
This is an argument which will always rear its ugly head and I have no wish to continue it any further on this thread.
I am NOT the devil, I am passionate about animals and speak my mind, sorry if that offends every one on this forum.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
04-08-2009, 09:29 AM   #18

Becky - we are all aware that accidents do happen and if Jessie is pregnant you best recourse is to firstly get her vet checked as they will be able to date the pregnancy and carry out a health check. Depending on the stage of pregnancy you may also have the option to terminate (abort) so if you don't want the kittens that is something that can be considered. Your vet will guide you concerning any health issues that you might need to look out for whetever your decision is.

I would support Elaine however and say that she is a professional animal carer and her interest is always in the welfare of the animal concerned (she's just a bit gobby but we all love her ) . Many of us also carry out voluntary work for Cats Protection (me included) and at worst witness some terrible cases of neglect and cruelty; often deliberate. At best we see many, many unwanted moggies and sometimes pedigree cats.

I'm sure you can understand that the notion of more kittens being added to this - and I'm not saying yours will end up in a similar situation; simply that if someone gives your kitten a home it means a kitten in care won't get rehomed.

That said, I'd like to welcome you and I hope you find ongoing help and support here at Catsey and please, please do have Jessie spayed as soon as she has had her kittens.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
04-08-2009, 12:00 PM   #19

no comment

04-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
I did not pounce, I asked a question and pointed out the plight of rescue due to irresponsible breeding.
This is an argument which will always rear its ugly head and I have no wish to continue it any further on this thread.
I am NOT the devil, I am passionate about animals and speak my mind, sorry if that offends every one on this forum.
It is not offensive. It simply demeans you as not very friendly.