Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
19-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #11

Re: Baliero's weight

Fingers crossed, Yola; hope the vet can sort it out. (((hugs)))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
19-06-2009, 05:18 PM   #12

OK, so liver, kidney, thyroid and diabetes have all come back negative. However is white blood cell count is twice what it should be so the vet things there might be some infection in there somewhere; there's nothing obvious so I have 2 weeks' worth of antibiotic/anti-inflammatories for him to see if it helps. And a review after this.

Does anyone know what else might cause such a cell change? Is it an immunity thing?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
19-06-2009, 05:23 PM   #13

Thats good news that the tests have come back negative, but I am not sure what would really cause the white blood cells to double, hopefully it is just something as simple as an infection that will clear up with the antibiotics and anti-inflammatories like the vet has said, did he not give any indication as to what else it could be

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
19-06-2009, 05:29 PM   #14

How old is the dear chap Yola? Extra white cells certainly point to an infection - maybe the antib's will clear it up, but it is probably an old age thing. Merlin lost a lot of weight as he aged - the suggestion of smaller meals more often through the day is good if you can organise it. It does seem to be something associated with old age in cats, and they lose muscle condition and hence weight.

Please give the old darling a cuddle from me.

Catsey Veteran

19-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #15

He's 12 years and 3 months. Not THAT old, but he is a persian and an in-bred one at that which I know causes health problems. I think it's the speed of the weight loss that has surprised the vet . . . feeding little and often is tricky as I'm either at work all day or ministering to the needs of the little sirs - and Balie doesn't like to be near them.

He has biscuits down and they have always free-fed. He has been dis-inclined to move periodically and I had a bout of bad toiletting with him because basically he couldn't be bothered to move from where he was sitting or lying

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
21-06-2009, 06:22 AM   #16

Sorry to hear that Balie has been poorly, Yola. A 2lb weight loss is a lot esp. coz persians are all fluff and very small boned under all the fuzz. The raised white cell count could be an immune response, try the antib's first but I'm sure the vet will keep a close eye. Yeah, its difficult to feed persians up, fussy creatures, Balie is lazy old boy too, so you'd think that he'd just lay down fat. As he's allowed to free feed not much else you can do, how about hand fed chicken ( when you got the chance ) or some treats like cheese, high protein/ fat combo.

Keep us posted. Was the weight loss some thing you noticed or discovered at a routine visit? does it seem to be bothering him, more vocal etc. He's a placid chap normally.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
21-06-2009, 09:37 PM   #17

Hope the AB's sort out whatever it is. Is he the one of your cats that is usually on his own? If so would an automatic feeder be an option for a small tempting meal while you're out?

Catsey Veteran

22-06-2009, 11:46 AM   #18

Well, my old boy's certainly come out of himself almost overnight!! Most evenings once Sebi's out the way he's been buzzing around,sitting on the table watching me eat and at times stealing my food

Apart from the cheese, cheese biscuits, taco shells and creme fraiche, he's eaten a whole chicken breast (handfed) last night and seems much, much more alert and positive. I just need to keep working on it - prawns tonight I think

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
22-06-2009, 12:03 PM   #19

THAT'S MA BOY!!!!

Glad to know he's perked up, and yep, a bit of spoiling won't do any harm Nothing more pleasing than knowing that 'sir' is a satified customer

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
22-06-2009, 01:24 PM   #20

Awwwwww bless him, I so hope he puts some weight on now and continues to eat well