Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
16-01-2008, 10:27 AM   #1

chickens

Lucy let the chickens out into the garden last night & didn't tell us. We didn't go down to put them away as we didn't think they were out. Foxes had all 4 of them. Feathers everywhere & they have left Jade & Sky in the garden but bitten their heads off. My beautiful girls. They were fantastic layers, all laying every single day, even on these cold dark days & they were really friendly too. My husband is quite annoyed that Lucy did this & didn't tell anyone. We sometimes let them out but weren't planning to yesterday as the rain was so bad.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
16-01-2008, 10:32 AM   #2

Re: chickens

Oh Smudgley. I'm so sorry. This is the second time isn't it - and you worked so hard on getting the fox-proof house and pen.
What will Lucy do to show her remorse? I think she should do something, rather than just lose priviledges. Poor thing - she must be feeling bad but that's all part of growing up and making mistakes you thought you were too mature to make.
Sorry kidda - onwards and upwards. They had a great life with you.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
16-01-2008, 10:39 AM   #3

oh no I'm so sorry to hear about your chickens

Catsey Veteran

16-01-2008, 10:42 AM   #4

yes, last time it was my other daughter that had been in the enclosure & got the eggs. She shut the door, but all the chickens had sneaked out & she didn't notice all 7 were gone that time. But only a few feathers then. This time there are feathers everywhere & 2 of my girls have been thrown around & are lying there with no heads. I don't want to move them, I will let John do that. He is annoyed with Lu because she knows she shouldn't do things like that. It was raining so why she let them out is beyond me. I wasn't aware they were out & when I went down to the cat pen it was dark & wet & I didn't see the chickens as they would have been in bed.
John did work really hard to get a brand new pen made for these ones as we got rid of the other one because it was quite old..
He wants to get some more chickens as he loves having them around & I do too.

I feel really sad thinking about them now.

People don't realise they all have little personalities & are so easy to look after, they ask for nothing & are happy scratting around after worms. When you go into the garden they run to you to say hello.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
16-01-2008, 10:49 AM   #5

Sorry to hear this Smudgley. Once was bad enough, but for it to happen twice.....

I think the girls should be told NEVER to touch them again if you get any more. Just your responsibility etc etc.

Almost a Veteran Member

16-01-2008, 10:52 AM   #6

I think all animals have their own personalities - is Lucy feeling bad for whats happened?

Catsey Veteran

16-01-2008, 10:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emm
I think all animals have their own personalities - is Lucy feeling bad for whats happened?
She was just going to school, when I saw the feathers & told her it looks like the chickens have been taken by foxes, which is when she told me that she'd let them out but forgot to tell Daddy. I told her not worry as I didn't want her upset at school.

Almost a Veteran Member

16-01-2008, 10:57 AM   #8

Quote:
She was just going to chool, when I saw the feathers & told her it looks like the chickens have been taken by foxes, which is when she told me that she'd let them out but forgot to tell Daddy. I told her not worry as I didn't want her upset at school.

yeah I bet she is feeling really bad - at least she admitted to you that she had done it and didn't try to cover it up.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
16-01-2008, 11:37 AM   #9

It's a testament to your relationship with her Kelly that she immediately owned up. And I'm sure she is equally upset at what happened.

As DM suggests, she really should contribute something (not necessarily financial, but pocket money donations might help, toward new chickens) but also something that will be meaningful to the whole family and show that she's really sorry for what's happened.

Poor sweet chickens . . . RIP.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
16-01-2008, 12:36 PM   #10

So sorry to read about the chickens Smudgley............