Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
05-01-2008, 10:18 AM   #1

we saved a beauty from abuse.

it's one am saturday morning.

kevin (my OH)came home about half an hour ago. he asked where the dogs were and a red flag went up as that usually means an animal rescue is in progress...but this was very different.

i opened the door for him as requested and he carried an intimidatingly luminous, wild creature. the swan.
on this unforgivingly windy night, the beauty had ran into a building and badly injured her wing. the men at his work found this as an opportunity to ram it with forklifts and shoot at it with bee bee guns *my heart wrenches and breaks for her*.
we promptly set her loose in the "dog free" area of the yard..a place safely gated with a pond. no, i am not trying to keep her as a pet. we are trying to give this creature a shot at living free in the wild as she should. i do not know anything about swans, i don't know if she'll live or what her future is. but providing a peaceful night in sanctuary away from abuse and cruelty is good enough for me at this moment. we will figure out what to do tomorrow..for now she can be safe.
as to not upset her, i peeked from my bedroom window with a flashlight. she seemed to understand why she was here, looked at me, and climbed into the pond to float in peace along the water.
it's funny, just today we were discussing being a foster home for the northwest wildlife rehabilitation rescue...i think someone was listening.
i am so angry at those men but i am also so grateful she can be here, if only for the night. i'm glad she won't be hit to death and made a game out of. i'm glad no one will bother her anymore. i'm grateful i have someone in my life who would respond the same way i would to such actions.
will keep you updated.....
tink

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: DSH
05-01-2008, 10:27 AM   #2

Re: we saved a beauty from abuse.

WTH is matter with some people - that is disgusting behaviour and I hope it was caught on the companies security cameras and they get 'done' for it - its hideous and plain wicked

RANT OVER

thank goodness the two of you were there to help her she'll have a peaceful night and hopefully recover from the bump she had, poor mite

God bless you both and the swan Keep us posted on her progress & futre !

Catsey Veteran

05-01-2008, 10:49 AM   #3

just talked to my OH on the phone (he brought her home on break and had to head straight back to work)...apparently they were thinking of trying out some paintball guns on her next *cries*

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
05-01-2008, 10:58 AM   #4

I'll never understand why people can be so heartless and cruel.
Good on you and Kevin for help the swan, I hope she recovers well from her ordeal.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
05-01-2008, 11:08 AM   #5

Oh Lord!!! The extent of human depravity still shocks me sometimes!! Sending best wishes for the poor baby!

Catsey Veteran

05-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #6

it appears to be a juvenile...feathers are ash grey slowing turning into white....sigh.

Catsey Veteran

05-01-2008, 11:42 AM   #7

after some research, it is either a tundra or trumpeter swan...was probably on its way to british columbia...will try to take pics once the sun rises...2:40am...still swimming peacefully in our pond.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
05-01-2008, 11:47 AM   #8

So glad you were there to help the swan out. It amazes me how cruel some people can be. Sending healing vibes and I hope she/he get better soon.
Sally

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
05-01-2008, 04:49 PM   #9

Well done to you and Kevin for for helping and more likely saving this swan..

How some people can get any pleasure out of hurting or maiming any animal or bird beats me ........ they really do deserve the same treatment back!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
05-01-2008, 04:56 PM   #10

So well done to your Kevin for saving this wild creature from those fiends. He's a brave man stepping in and also being prepared to handle the swan. Hope she/he manages to mend. Bless you both - healing vibes to the swan!