Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
16-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #1

Growing veg in containers

As this appears to be topic of the day i thought I'd post this link

I've just sown some early Nantes carrots in a sort of half plastic barrel in compost. It took about 50litres (two thirds of a standard size bag) to fill the tub, and of course that will be tipped out on the allotment in due course. I should be able to crop twice though, with the last ones still fit to pull towards the end of the year.

I'll put a few potatoes in during the week, although they say you can grow spuds at any time of year, provided you keep them frost free.

There are several new variety of 'climbing' beans now, bred specifically for containers, and they stay small and shrubby and do not need staked.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
16-02-2009, 06:27 PM   #2

Re: Growing veg in containers

Great idea DM, it is amazing how much veg you can grow even if you have a small garden, pots are a great idea as well as you can move them around the garden during the seasons/day if needed.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
16-02-2009, 06:28 PM   #3

That's a very interesting and useful link, thanks DM!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
16-02-2009, 07:27 PM   #4

That is a good website DM . . . I check it out almost daily as there are people on there with SUCH a vast amount of knowledge Container gardening wouldn't work for me at home as my back garden is north facing and too small. Might try some tomatoes in pots in the sunny front garden this summer though!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
16-02-2009, 08:24 PM   #5

great link - thanks for that. Have tried some potato earlies in container. Nust think about shrubby peas too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
16-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #6

ooh great, will have a read of that later. Have just brought some seed potatoes & I want to try & encourage my dad to come to ours and do some gardening / growing this year....his garden is slabbed and he loves tinkering in the garden with his pots and stuff, but only has a small amount of grass for beans.... now that he's retired he gets bored & as we have a large area for planting, I've told him he can pretend he's got an allotment at ours.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
16-02-2009, 09:57 PM   #7

Yola, I grew my tomatoes. beans and peppers in large pots for years when the bamboo had taken over part of the garden; only been back in beds last year since I had the landscaper get rid of the bamboo and I had space for a bed again. They did very well in the pots. I'm thinking about doing potatoes in them this year, Love that link. DM!