Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #1

Bird Netting???

Anyone have any experience with this? Does it really work? I'm tired of losing most of my tomatoes every year to the squirrels and birds! Last year was the worst. I don't mind sharing a few (with the birds, NOT the squirrel!!), but not the majority of the tomatoes.

So, thinking about giving it a try; any feedback would be appreciated.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
13-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #2

Re: Bird Netting???

How many birds and squirrels do you think you will have to net before they get the message then Eileen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
13-02-2009, 09:57 PM   #3

bird netting won't deter the squirrels at all - they'll just chew through it no trouble. It does work against the birds, but they can get tangled up in it. I really can't advise anything re the dratted rodent, but you could try old CDs - anything like that or tin foil on string. Anything that moves and reflects light will tend to scare off the birds.

Have you ever thought of having a small fruit cage?

Catsey Veteran

13-02-2009, 10:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
bird netting won't deter the squirrels at all - they'll just chew through it no trouble. It does work against the birds, but they can get tangled up in it. I really can't advise anything re the dratted rodent, but you could try old CDs - anything like that or tin foil on string. Anything that moves and reflects light will tend to scare off the birds.

Have you ever thought of having a small fruit cage?
What's a small fruit cage? Thought the netting would have small enough holes that the birds couldn't get enmeshed...?? I have five tomato plants in tomato cages in the bed directly next to the brick wall; thought if I covered them and weighed the netting down with bricks/stones that it might protect them when they were ripening ........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
14-02-2009, 12:13 AM   #5

Sounds as if you virtually have a small fruit cage anyway Eileen. I found some instructions that could be adapted size and materials etc.

I was wondering how to construct something myself because of having had failures two years running with tomatoes in the greenhouse and not bothering at all last year. I missed them!

I did the link! Wooopppeeeee!!!

Sorry - bloomin thing won't work - I get page load error! Here it is: http://www.greenfingers.com/articledisplay.asp?id=405 (I am disappointed, but will try again tomorrow!)

Catsey Veteran

14-02-2009, 12:39 AM   #6

Hey, my first try didn't work either! I'll look thru pics and see if I have any that show the vegetable plot. No one bothers the beans, peppers, onions or basil, so all I'd need to cover is the tomatoes; think that might be fairly easy. Oh I do hope you try tomatoes again this year, there's nothing like a nice juicy one off the vine! The dear little catbirds that I love agree with me, also the wretched tree rat! The fight goes on this year!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
14-02-2009, 09:27 AM   #7

Hope you win the war this year DM, you show them who the BOSS is LOL

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
14-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #8

I wouldn't go for the netting personally Eileen, my dad had it over his redcurrant bush and we were constantly freeing birds that managed to get trapped and tangled somehow, especially youngsters.

Catsey Veteran

14-02-2009, 10:52 PM   #9

Oh dear, that's sort of discouraging, but good to know. The catbirds gave been nesting in my garden for years and I love to watch the little fledglings as they're learning to fly. I'd never walk the cats in the garden while they were there.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mackerel Tabby, Tabby & White
09-03-2009, 06:07 PM   #10

I gave up with tomatoes because of the squirrels! They'd pick them JUST before I would have (or even green sometimes), take one bite out then leave them! GRRRRRRRR!
May try some other veggies this year... but tomatoes ONLY at work (we have a tiny garden here) where there are NOT squirrels, only deer!, to worry about.