Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

25-02-2004, 01:57 PM   #1

American Bobtails / Maine Coons in the UK

Hi All

I've owned your common house Cats before (tortoise shell mainly) and after my last one passed away a few months back I was looking for something a little different.

Ideally I want an American Bobtail or a Maine Coon and I've found all sorts of information on them and feel either suitable personality and location wise.

I was just wondering if anybody had any experience in these breeds? Would have an idea of price and cost of keeping? And if so, where could I find a breeder located in the UK (ideally the closer to Surrey the better) ?

Regards

Catsey Veteran

25-02-2004, 02:54 PM   #2

Re: American Bobtails / Maine Coons in the UK

Hi Gzine

My only help to you would be to buy Your Cat magazine it comes out monthly and you can but it from W H Smiths, at the back it usualy gives informtion on certain breeds and also has lists of breeders in the UK.

Hope this helps a little in your search.

Abbi

25-02-2004, 03:28 PM   #3

Hi Abbi

thanks for the quick response and it should help a lot

I'll keep an eye out for it

Thanks again

Gzine

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Bengal
Azz is Male
25-02-2004, 03:34 PM   #4

Hi Gzine and welcome to the forum!

MCoons are magnificant cats - They are huge! We've seen them at cat shows, I think they are really stunning! ( Abbi, I reckon you'd love em!!)

I've had a quick look on the web and here are a few Coon breeders in your area...

Coonflakes Maine Coons - Purley, Surrey - http://www.coonflakes.com

Jakatta Maine Coons - Huntingdon - http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/huddlestons/

Brocstar Maine Coons - Sussex - http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...cstar_cooncat/

Mullycoonz - Sussex - http://mullycoonz.com/

Noracoon Maine Coons - East Sussex - http://www.noracoon.co.uk/

Hope this helps! and please post some pix of the kittens if you get any!!

25-02-2004, 03:50 PM   #5

Wow, they are stunning !!

That's made up my mind...thanks a load for your help

Thanks Guys, much appreciated.

Don't worry, I run a Forum myself and I know how awkward and slow they can get with pictures.

I will keep you Posted on my "Mcoon" search though if all goes well. Also, do you have an idea when the main part of this site will be running properly? It seems to be just Email links at the moment?

Catsey Veteran

25-02-2004, 04:13 PM   #6

Yes Azz I think they are amazing - I went to the GCCF cat show end of last year at Olympia and I could not believe how stunning they were in real life!

Good luck with the search Gzine and keep us posted!

Almost a Veteran Member

Azz is Male
25-02-2004, 10:58 PM   #7

Glad we were of help Gzine, please do keep us posted on how you get on!! (btw which forum do you have?) If you can, get yourself to a cat show as there are sooooo many breeds to choose from!

Abbi, it's amazing how some cats look so different in the flesh - we were smitten by the singapuras! They are so cute! also like the Somalis, spotted orientals, ocicats, lol the list goes on! Now I'd really like to go to a dog show to see all the different breeds - are they like cat shows tho, where you can get up close to the animals?

Must say tho that the Mcoons surprised us the most as we didn't expect a domestic cat to be that big! (Bigger than a small dog!)

Catsey Veteran

26-02-2004, 10:20 AM   #8

Yeah I know what you mean Azz - when we went to Olympia Cat Show I saw the most beautiful kitten it was either a Cornish or a Devonshire Rex they look so ugly they are beautiful - if that means sence - there was on particular one that looked like a little Gismo - I wanted it so much and it has the most adorable personality.

Have you seen the breed I mean?

Almost a Veteran Member

Azz is Male
26-02-2004, 01:52 PM   #9

Yeah they r cute! Curly hair looks like afro hair, very unique. Wonder what the sphynx are like in real life? I would also love to have a lynx or other small wild cat! Apperantly the Servals are meant to trainable like dogs as they are pack animals! lol am I mad or what!? lol

Catsey Veteran

26-02-2004, 02:27 PM   #10

Yep your nuts - but a nice nuts.

Yeah the rex we saw was almost bald it had wrinkly skin too - I would have one next time I get a cat.

I think that Cheetah looks like a ikkle wild cat - she is so un-usual.

Will take some more pics of Archie this weekend in his run - he looks so cute !

Abbi