Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
30-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #1

Bovril again!

Bovril has another infection and has gone from 3kgs to 2.2 kgs and is very, very thin now. He has been eating well, toileting normally and there is nothing amiss with his bloods.
The vet is at a loss, and while he was away on holiday, I tried him on vidalta at a lower dose to see if it was the problem, since Bovril had been on steroids, but there is no change. We are both worried its something in his mouth or throat.
He has been given an antibiotic and metacam to reduce his temp. The vet who has been dealing with him is on ops on Wednesday, so he is in to be sedated, examined and x-rayed to try and figure out what is going on. His condition means he may not even make it through the sedation, but I have to try and find out what is going on, before having him PTS, which is the only other option we are now left with. I feel like such a failure but I've offered him every thing I can, almost weekly vet visits, numerous blood tests, all and any type of food.....I'm losing sleep over him and worry about him all the time. I need to know I've done all I can.
I have him down as 12 years old but the vet thinks he is much older, maybe he is just worn out.
This is so hard, I want him to know a fully tummy, contentment and a loving home!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-10-2014, 09:27 PM   #2

Re: Bovril again!

So sorry to hear about Bovril's troubles farthing. I know what you mean, just wanting him to know contentment .... very hard but you will do the right thing for him I am sure. Bless you and Bovril.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
30-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #3

Bovril must know contentment at your house Farthing. He has had the best love and care since you took him in and he will know that. I lost my best cat ever, Chubbiz, he was saved twice by Convenia but the 3rd time had no effect but he went peacefully lying on the bed with me holding paws. He was purring as he died. Maybe Bovril is, like you say, just very old and tired.

Catsey Veteran

06-11-2014, 09:09 AM   #4

Bovril was back in for tests yesterday, unfortunately nothing much was found, however he survived the sedation and is still with us this morning.
The vet did a dental, but his teeth were not bad, one small tooth was removed. There was nothing wrong in his mouth or throat.
His bloods showed signs of an infection so he has been given a long acting antibiotic, his thyroid levels have been sent away again, but I know they will be sky high!
The only other thing the vet found was that his ribs we very de-calcified. We are not sure what that means, could it be dietary or is his parathyroid gland a problem in some way and metabolising calcium from within his body?
I guess we wait and see how he reacts to the antibiotic and what his thyroid results are, before moving onto the next step.

Catsey Senior

06-11-2014, 02:08 PM   #5

Hope Bovril soon feels better. Is it possible to give cats calcium like you can for humans. Lots of strokes to Bovril, he's a very brave little chap. Good sign that he recovered from the anaesthetic.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: not sure
06-11-2014, 05:22 PM   #6

I'm so sorry about Bovril. Sending him many healing thoughts. I hope the test results bring back some sort of answer. So hard to keep moving forward when there are no answers.

Catsey Veteran

07-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #7

Bovril's thyroid results are back and he's sitting at 171, the normal range is something like 19- 60, I think. The vet wants to try him on felimazole and see how he reacts to it. We start on them tonight. Fingers crossed he doesn't have a reaction to them.

Catsey Senior

07-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #8

Hoping for the best here Farthing. Lots of hugs to Bovril and gentle strokes.

Catsey Veteran

10-11-2014, 11:28 PM   #9

Bovril is looking pretty bright at the moment, he's been eating well, for him, although he likes one type of food one day and a different one the next . I am pandering to this just to get food into him, I'm hoping the dental and antibiotics have helped him.

Catsey Senior

10-11-2014, 11:36 PM   #10

Great news Farthing. Hope he continues to be on the mend.