Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
16-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #11

Re: Cute Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
As you know Elaine, I'm one of the 'education' advocates. However, I'm realistic enough to appreciate that for everyone one individual you convert there are 100s; maybe 1000s who will continue to breed from their cats.

As far as we here are concerned, I think there should be a 'Catsey Charter' which people need to read and agree to in order to join. This charter can stipulate our policy on responsible breeding; any threads which then promote this activity can be removed or better stil, locked with a standard post reitterating our policy.

We will never eradicate the problem, the only thing is that over time, society may find it increasingly distasteful as a
whole - however without some powerful government legislation and promotional campaigns this ain't going to happen any time soon that's why I feel it must come from within society rather than being imposed from outside/above.

As an example, look how long it's taking with the smoking message - people
howl that their liberties are being revoked; imagine how they'd yell if controlled pet breeding were to be introduced.
Excellent post!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 5 Cats
16-12-2010, 01:14 PM   #12

Question answered.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
16-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet.Tears
I may keep my litter until they are old enough to be neutured and have them neutered before going to a new home.
You mean you might be keeping them all until they're 6 months old??

outrageous!!!

You're having a laugh surely? Shame on you!

Catsey Veteran

16-12-2010, 01:42 PM   #14

The dog-breed specific forum I belong to doesn't allow any discussion of litters by breeders (professional or BYB) unless they follow very definite, specific rules (I don't know what they are as I'm not a breeder)

Also no photos of litters are allowed at all in the standard forum sections with the exception of any pup the breeder is keeping, provided it's already over 8 weeks old.

I'm sure something could be worked out to stop Backyard breeders boasting about their thoughtlessness on this forum!

Catsey Senior

16-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsH
You mean you might be keeping them all until they're 6 months old??

outrageous!!!

You're having a laugh surely? Shame on you!
I should have added a question into that. I do apologise. And that question has been answered, even if it was in a bit of nasty way.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
16-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet.Tears
I should have added a question into that. I do apologise. And that question has been answered, even if it was in a bit of nasty way.
Im sorry to say this but you are a perfect example of why we have so many Cats needing homes, absolutely disgraceful. In all honesty, if I knew where you lived, Id do something about removing them from you as I feel you are an unsuitable owner, especially for so many animals.

Catsey Senior

16-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #17

You obviously don't know how well i look after them then do you. Clearly you don't know me at all because if you did you wouldn't say that. And as a matter of fact i'm offended.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
16-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #18

Before this debate gets too heated, let's take a moment to think guys. Yes, there are far too many people who breed their cats, and do so without thought, which angers us all. However, going full guns against someone for doing so usually doesn't work, it just p's them off and they then depart the forum none the wiser. Is it not better to educate in a calm, controlled manner? After all, the average man on the street has no idea about the number of cats in rescue, or the number PTS each year due to infection and disease.

I fully agree with having something in a Catsey Charter to state that we are a pro rescue, anti breeding forum. But if someone finds us with a cat already pregnant, then yes it may be a case of shutting the stable door etc, but if it prevents another litter in the future, then surely it is better for us as a forum to try and show someone the error of their ways in a calm way than sending them off in a strop knowing no better

Catsey Senior

16-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #19

An unsuitable owner is someone who does not provide care (feeding etc), vet treatment when needed, appaling conditions as to which an animal lives.

Catsey Veteran

16-12-2010, 06:04 PM   #20

I see where you're coming from Alexgirl but this breeder already has 7 cats, lives on the top floor of a block of flats, has bred from one of her cats because she said she wanted to, and now states that she may keep the litter until they've been neutered. Frankly I'd like to see some evidence that she is aware that she has made a huge mistake and that her actions are not in the animals' best interests. This isn't a case of a cat escaping from the house and accidentally getting pregnant (although that shouldn't happen either)