Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
16-10-2005, 08:41 AM   #1

Crate Question

Hello everyone
a friend of mine is getting a engal kitten the first week of November and would like to know two things.
Can you use a crate with a kitten as you do with a puppy i.e when the kitten is on its own, or having a 'safe' haven?

If so whats measurements would be best?

Best wishes

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
16-10-2005, 11:00 AM   #2

Re: Crate Question

They could get a large dog crate for the kitten my only worry would be if the spaces between the bars isn't very big the kitten would get it's head trapped, but they could always cover this with something else (chicken wire perhaps)

I had to confine my male cat to a crate a few years back and he was fine.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
16-10-2005, 12:31 PM   #3

I used a medium dog cage when I got oliver and casper, put it up high so all the animals could see the kitten...I shut the kit in when I was out and at night for thefirst couple of day's, then left the door open, they used it as their safe place...Then I replaced it with a soft cat bed.....Still high up, the cats can sleep in peace without the dogs annoying them.........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
16-10-2005, 12:33 PM   #4

thanks everyone, how about this crate size wise?

Crate

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
16-10-2005, 01:03 PM   #5

That is about the size I used Luke....

Catsey Junior

16-10-2005, 03:41 PM   #6

My advice is to get a kitten pen you can get one from purrsonal touch cat accessories they are on the web or if you go to a cat show as they have stalls there, or if you have a big pet store near you ask them, they might be able to help you it is much better than a crate and more comfortable as you can put a small litter tray with litter in & water bowl which can be hooked inside of the pen, add paper in the bottom of the kitten pen, also a little basket for the kitten to sleep in. I hope this will help you!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 moggies
16-10-2005, 03:49 PM   #7

It looks a great size, but some of the holes look bigger than others. Is it my eyes? Are they kitty head size?
Not very good at picturing things in real life though , so if I am talking rubbish...........ignore me