Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
25-05-2008, 11:24 AM   #1

European 'Wrong' Contest

I'm a bit grumpy this morning
I watched the European Song Contest last night and yes, I know, I'm a sucker for punishment but I feel very let down by our continental cousins.
Andy Abraham's song wasn't half bad I thought considering the competition and some of the presentations were pretty bizzarre so I don't think we deserved to come last.
There was lots of political voting going on, so it seems we Brits are the Billy No-Mates of Europe
As Sir Terry Wogan said, is there much point the UK going on with this 'contest' . I think it's just outlived its purpose. i will be sorry to see it go tho...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
25-05-2008, 12:34 PM   #2

Re: European 'Wrong' Contest

Billy No-Mates is about right PP! And don't we deserve it?

Catsey Veteran

25-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #3

Yeah, I agree, politically we've been isolated but as far as the ESC goes, I think they were a bit harsh in their marking. Andy sang really well and its a contemporary song, not a jokey skit like Bosnia, or off key like the Germans. Went through 2 bottles of rose wine watching the convivial back-slapping, so wasn't all bad

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
25-05-2008, 12:50 PM   #4

I don't bother watching it - it has been political for years now and rarely bears any correlation to quality of singing/song

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 5 Mad Moggies
25-05-2008, 01:36 PM   #5

I didnt watch it either, knew we would come nowhere like always, dont think it would matter whether the song was good or not, we never get any votes.

Catsey Veteran

25-05-2008, 01:57 PM   #6

I don't think I'll be tuning in next year even if they do decide to broadcast it. It seems to have had it's day. I fondly remember the great songs we had in it, Puppet on a String, Congratulations!, Beg Steal or Borrow, Save your Kisses for Me etc. as well as some outstanding Continental winners, remember Vicky Leandros' Come What May, Dana and All kinds of everything... now that was Eurovision

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
25-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #7

I always watch the contest but go away and do something else during the voting as I know I'll get all stroppy and shout at the screen!

I absolutely loved it in the old days and as a languages student/teacher (depends on the era!) it was great having loads of entries sung in French (France, Monaco, Luxemburg/Belgium/Switzterland in a good year), wonderful practice for my listening skills.

However, I was there, in Spain, the night of that inglorious defeat of the sainted Cliff at the hands of some silly Spanish song with the lyrics "La,la, la" etc. Can you imagine how awful that was for us, a group of university students, in a bar, lording it over our Spanish student friends, just for Cliff to be pipped at the post! The humiliation!

Never mind, apparently he should have won, it was a fix, or so it has been reported.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
25-05-2008, 03:47 PM   #8

I watched Andy Abraham sing and then switched it off. I knew we weren't going to get anywhere simply because of how attrocious the political voting has got. His was a good song, sung well, and how it came in last I'll never know. I don't believe the UK deserves to be billy no mates angie, just because not all of our policies match the slavic countries. it's supposed to be about singing, not politics.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
25-05-2008, 07:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupie
I don't bother watching it - it has been political for years now and rarely bears any correlation to quality of singing/song
I completely agree.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
25-05-2008, 07:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupie

Absolutely agree 100% It's all down to politics and nothing else, sadly