Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
07-02-2008, 02:27 PM   #11

Re: Life on Mars >>> Ashes to Ashes

I will be watching avidly

And yes, synchronise watches for full critique here tomorrow

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
07-02-2008, 02:29 PM   #12

Farmers' Market tomorrow and you have to be early to get the best choice - so let's make a date for about coffee time

Catsey Veteran

08-02-2008, 01:35 PM   #13

Well need to wait and watch a couple more before I decide whether I like it or not. I haven't warmed to Alex as I did to Sam (why could that possibly be? ) and I don't like the way she's describing her 'hallucinatory state' etc. And I haven't taken to Molly either. Stupid girl - should have stayed in the car as she was told!
I do like the curly perm! Shaz doesn't seem as human as Annie (what happened to Annie?)
But it's not LoM and it is early days.

Here's what the anoraks are saying. 12 pages so far!
http://domeofstars.com/forum/index.php?topic=3165.0

Catsey Veteran

08-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #14

Ok, here's my tuppence worth . . . I am struggling with not so much the Alex character as the actress chosen to play her. I can't put my finger on it, but it smacks of being rushed and forced casting rather than intuitive casting. I atually think Shaz could develop well, the girl has acted well so far, has interesting looks and I suspect will end up wiping the floor with all the detectives.

I'm also worried a bit about the three stooges. They seem to be turning into caricatures of themselves.

There was some good moments; script, acting and of course music-wise. Although again, I feel the music is somewhat 'overlaid' rather than being integral to the storyline.

As you say Hilary, early days . . . I'm going to go and have a mooch around the anorak site to see what those with real insight and little life have to say

Catsey Veteran

08-02-2008, 01:56 PM   #15

Oh, I forgot to say; (this is my anorak moment) the sets were all wrong too. Nowhere near Tower Bridge is there a white, peeling warehouse - nor was there ever; architecturally it's all wrong. It's actually the old Thorn EMI building in Hayes

The 80s authenticity just didn't hang together for me . . . yet!

Catsey Veteran

08-02-2008, 03:10 PM   #16

This is an interesting take (not mine - I've lifted it from elsewhere)

Alex is basing her Gene, Chris and Ray on what Sam had told her about them during his (how short?) time back in the present. Despite being a psychiatrist (psychologist! - whatever), Alex wouldn't be able to re-create the exact same characters that Sam had in his head so maybe that's why they are a bit more like caricatures and parody's of themselves - it's because they are poor copies.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-02-2008, 03:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
This is an interesting take (not mine - I've lifted it from elsewhere)

Alex is basing her Gene, Chris and Ray on what Sam had told her about them during his (how short?) time back in the present. Despite being a psychiatrist (psychologist! - whatever), Alex wouldn't be able to re-create the exact same characters that Sam had in his head so maybe that's why they are a bit more like caricatures and parody's of themselves - it's because they are poor copies.
Which is why Alex keeps doing finger quotes when she says their names! That's cute! I enjoyed it - have to say but I'm not especially picky. V glad OH decided NOT to watch it - he would have been huffing all the way through!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
08-02-2008, 07:07 PM   #18

Hmm, on the whole I was disappointed with it. However I loved LoM so much I expected that really. So sad to discover Sam died!! I do agree with you DM and Lola. I know the old EMI building Yola, used to live quite near there!!! Now that is nostalia! LOL I will keep watching as haven't really given it chance yet. I love the curly perms too!!

Catsey Veteran

08-02-2008, 07:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim
used to live quite near there!!! Now that is nostalia!
Me too . . . except it was in use then

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
08-02-2008, 08:09 PM   #20

I have to say I loved the first one....not impressed with this it's all the same and I won't be rushing to watch the next one I'm afraid... Rushed repetetive and basicaly boring