Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
25-07-2014, 08:33 AM   #1

irn bru Friday

Morning everyone, thought i would go for a slightly different theme today!!

Just back from our morning walk. Lovely morning here. Found an injured crow on the track today. Wasnt quite sure what to do so i put my fleece around him and moved him to the side of the track out of the way. Feeling a bit annoyed with myself now as i have did a little bit of research since i got in and have found that the RSPB would have come and helped it if i had of brought him home.

Heading to Makro shortly then OH mums for the night as barney will have the garden to himself and we can relax in the garden

Hope everyone has a lovely day

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
25-07-2014, 09:51 AM   #2

Re: irn bru Friday

morning Pamela, hope you have a lovely relaxing time in the garden later.
It's always a worry when you find an injured bird, hopefuly your Crow may recover and fly away. I didn't know the RSPB would come out.
I took an injured woodpidgeon to the vets once that i picked out of the road.
Just having an energy survey done as we are eligible for free cavity insulation and possibly other things.
Got to get some things ready for my doll club meeting tomorrow if i can bear to be upstairs.Hot and sunny here again today.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
25-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #3

when i re read it shelley, it says you shuld contact the SSPCA if you find an injured bird and not to contact the the RSPB. Re read it after i posted!!

The cavity wall insulation is good, we got it last year and it definitely makes the difference.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
25-07-2014, 02:14 PM   #4

Afternoon every one, very hot here. Did loads of housework yesterday and made myself more poorly so decided on a day of rest. At least I've got a clean bathroom, windows and hoovered carpets and no more washing. Not a fan of crows I'm afraid. Do a lot of damage at lambing time (won't go into gory details but it's not pleasant) as well as taking eggs and young birds. We found a young kestrel once with sunstroke, she lived in the hall for a while and perched on the coat hooks. Only trouble was she attacked the post as it came through the door! We eventually released her and she found a mate. Maybe your crow was just too hot or could have been clipped by a car. The reason we found the kestrel was she was lying in the grass being mobbed by crows, that's why we took her home because they would have killed her.

May do some deadheading later, easy stuff. Enjoy the day all, take it easy.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
25-07-2014, 05:30 PM   #5

Hi folks just got in after a very hot but pleasant day in Cardiff Bay with Ceri. It was the annual Stroke Club day out. After a coffee in the shade outside Cafe One, we took the Aquabus across the bay and Cardiff marina to Penarth. Had a glass of wine and a pint of beer for himself at the Custom House Brasserie (no change from £10, ) then back to the bay for a quick look at the shops and art exhibition before a late lunch. left there at 4pm.

It's exhausting this heat, cats are flaked out in the shade and even the chooks are all fluffed up trying to keep cool. I've put an old towel over the pen to keep the direct sun out and made sure there's plenty of water in the drinker. Sadly looks like I've lost my oranda goldfish, Miranda is no more , swim bladder disease got her.

We rescued a crow once, he was a young un and had been hit off the road. We named him Russell ( crow, geddit!) but after a week he hadn't regained his balance and the vet felt it kinder to PTS.

Watching the Commonwealth Games, looking good for the home nations

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
25-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #6

Hi all - thanks for your birthday wishes on the other thread.

2nd day of my photography course at Chichester Harbour today. The instructor took us (only me and a young lad starting his Duke of Edinburgh award in photography) out on his boat to watch the sailing races and take photos. Perfect weather - I'd taken my fleece just in case, but didn't need it. Got hit by the heat when we came back to land though. Learned about aperture today, I think I'm overloaded and don't feel I understand it as well as yesterday, but I've got notes and will try it out again tomorrow even if just in the garden. Really good course, nice patient chap! Thoroughly enjoyed, so thanks to my OH for a smashing birthday present.

My only brush with poorly wildlife was a collar dove, which I took to our local vet - I think there was a virus they'd got a few years ago. We'd had a high population in this area but it more or less wiped them out.

Right, must go and feed the dogs and get a drink - the sun is over the yardarm ......... oh, and we've had a bit of thunder and a spit or two of rain. May have to go out wit the hosepipe later.

Enjoy your evening folks.

Catsey Veteran

25-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #7

Pamela, don't know whether this applies all over Scotland but it does where we have the van. Vets say they will treat any injured Scottish wildlife for free. When we took the woodpigeon to the vets, the nurse was adamant that we would be charged, i told her we didn't mind and still wanted him to see it. Unfortunately it couldn't be saved.
Got lots done today at a very slow pace, looking forward to doll meeting tomorrow and than holidays.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
25-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #8

Have a wonderful doll meeting Shelley ......... I am imagining loads of dolls sitting around a big table and wonder who will be chairing .... Barbie???

I am sure I've read somewhere that injured wildlife should be accepted by the vet local to the area, but whether that works in practice, I don't know. Certainly I wasn't charged for the collar dove which I am sure was PTS.

Catsey Veteran

25-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Have a wonderful doll meeting Shelley ......... I am imagining loads of dolls sitting around a big table and wonder who will be chairing .... Barbie???

I am sure I've read somewhere that injured wildlife should be accepted by the vet local to the area, but whether that works in practice, I don't know. Certainly I wasn't charged for the collar dove which I am sure was PTS.
lol, Angie
Forgot to say that the vet didn't charge us after all